How to edit file and app associations system wide?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RemarkabLee, Jan 3, 2008.

1. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm using the 'Default Apps' system preferences plugin to view all my system file associations and the extensions that a given application recognises, but it doesn't give me the opportunity to remove an application instance.

Example, I have used 'The Unarchiver' from a network share and locally. I want to remove the reference to the network share location and also remove a lot of the excessive file associations it creates (i.e. 002-099 extensions and r01-r99)

Does anyone know where I can edit the system file that controls associations, or recommend a good system utility for this purpose?

Many thanks! :)

Attached Files:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Mac has not used a single file for this purpose since System 6. MacOS X's file association system is much more sophisticated even than System 7-MacOS 9. My advice to you is to leave it alone.

3. RemarkabLee thread starter macrumors 6502a

So manually editing may be a bad idea - so is there a system utility (third party or otherwise) that can help me administer my own system?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The application will have been logged with launch services. You can clear the list of applications in the launch services database but I don't know if you can do it on a per-app basis.