How to Edit like this in Final Cut Pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by FSMBP, Nov 16, 2009.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Sorry for the generic title but this is a question for people very familiar with FCP.

Here's what I want to do: I have ProRes footage that is over 200GB. I was wondering if there is a way to transcode the footage to say, H.264 or something smaller, and edit it in H.264. Next, after I'm done editing it in H.264, can I take the edits applied in that timeline and apply to the ProRes footage?

The reason is H.264 would less processor intensive and take up less space I edited it on a portable.

READ BEFORE POSTING: Yes, I know I can just get an External HD and move it around, but that's not my point. I just want to know if I footage transcoded into a different Codec, can I apply those edits to the master footage later on.

Thanks in advance.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yes you can do this but H.264 is the last codec you'd want to use at it is very CPU intensive to use. If you are using FCP 7 ProRes Proxy was made just for this. Basically you'd just transcode everything into ProRes Proxy and keep the exact same name, frame size and frame rate of your original footage. Edit w/the Proxy, knock the Proxy footage offline when you are done and reconnect to the original footage.

If you aren't using FCP 7 then things are a little more complicated.

Lethal

3. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Oh jeez..for some reason, I didn't think of taking the footage offline and reconnecting my master footage :eek: And I will be using FCP 7!

Thanks a lot Lethal!

4. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

holy crap!
    are you telling me that you can run your footage through proxy in 7?
    meaning that you don't have to have a goliath computer anymore?