Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Hey guys, i have a question that i cant seem to find anyone to give me a straight answer on, so here goes....I have an external thunderbolt ssd that i set to raid 0 for the purposes of editing my videos off my external drive.. but how exactly does one do this? I use fcpx.. do i just put my fcpx application and all files relating to it onto the external and open and run them from there and then im automatically running off the external? sorry if this seems confusing, im just unsure of the process. again former pc guy up until a few months ago..flame on lol...thankyou in advance guys

TheSpeaker

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
I don't use FCPX, but actual professional NLEs like FCP 7 and Premiere Pro allow you to set a scratch disk to an external drive, no problem. You may want to check in your preferences or perhaps save your project to your external as, if I remember correctly, FCPX is like iMovie in that it packages everything up with the project file itself. Not sure though.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
yea thats what it does, its pretty annoying. So you think as long as i transfer the files to my external and just open and run them from there that would constitute "running off the drive"? Thats where im getting confused. Sorry if this made it sound even more confusing :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.