How to effectivly use two computetrs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigJohno, Dec 16, 2007.

1. BigJohno macrumors 65816

Iv seen a lot of people out there post pictures of their mbps or mb with thir macpros to. I was wondering how poeple transfer stuff between. I know there is usb but software? Sorry if this is a noob question. :p

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

One of the easiest - and likely most popular methods - is through networking and file sharing.

If you have a router (say a Linksys, Netgear or Apple Airport) you likely are sharing an internet connection through it - but you can also swap files between your computers the same way.

If your computers all have WIFI (802.11) - you can enable fire sharing without any router at all.

Another popular way is with a Firewire connection.

You can also use an external drive to move large files about quickly.

Look under the Macrumors "FAQ" for file sharing and networking. It's easier than you think, and spans across Apple, Windows and Linux alike.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X

3. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I used to have a MacBook before I gave it to my girlfriend. I transferred small stuff between my two Macs through my network. Networking on the Mac is no hassle at all, I always ran into problems with that on Windows.

For bigger files I used Target Disk mode, which requires a FireWire cable. Your Mac simply turns into a hard drive which the other Mac can write to or copy from.

My problem however is that I don't really need two computers for what I do, but I wish I'd gotten a laptop instead of an iMac.

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Thanks for the links guys. This hasn't been a problem for me yet as I've only owned one Mac at a time, but in the new year I'l be picking up a iMac G4 (yes, G4!) and MacBook Pro and would like for them to be able to talk to each other.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I use .Mac to sync things like bookmarks, iCal, and Address Book. Then I use Chronosync to sync my documents folder.

6. Tacos! macrumors member

I would use .MAC especially because of the "back ot my mac" feature.