How to eject a disc from drive in G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Pkupman57, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Pkupman57 macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I searched, but didn't come up with anything. I currently am using screen sharing to access my newly acquired G5 system from my mid-2012 MBP, I can go full screen and use my bluetooth keyboard and mouse perfectly fine this way, but I cannot figure out the key combination to eject a disc from the optical drive. The eject button on the keyboard does not work. Anyone know what the proper key combination is for this? This is the only thing that makes me keep the original G5s keyboard sitting out, and Id like to clean up my desk a bit. Its cluttered enough with the bluetooth stuff and windows stuff.

Thanks,
    brian

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can eject it via Disk Utility or by turning it off and pressing the mouse button and turning it on, that will eject it.

3. harrymatic macrumors 6502

4. And macrumors 6502

And

You can also add an item to your menubar to eject disks. There is an item in your system/library/core services/ menu extras folder than you can use, called eject.menu. If that doesn't work, just do a google for it, I may have typed up wrong!. I've got it on my g4. Holding f12 also works too.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Select the disk. CMD+E.

Unless that's something that won't work using Screen Sharing?

6. archtopshop, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

archtopshop macrumors regular

7. Pkupman57 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I added the menu eject option quite easily.

Sorry for such a n00b question, Ive been a mac guy for only a year now (don't have many keyboard short cuts down yet), and Ive only owned a PPC for about 2 weeks or so.

8. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

What are you using for screen sharing? I am looking for a program to do just that currently.

9. Pkupman57 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a mid-2012 MBP, I just go into Finder, and select my G5 from the list of shared computers/devices, log in (now I have it set up with my keychain to remember it), and click on share screen at the top. Its all done natively though Finder. (I am on 10.9.1 on the MBP)

Now, when I have it connected, I can go into Mission Control, and select the G5, just as I would my desktop, and use my bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse (I run my MBP in a book arc in clamshell mode.)

Here it is, the G5 is showing on the monitor, through screen sharing from the MBP.
    [​IMG]

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try holding F-12. On a MacBook I think it would be FN F-12 then.