How to eject a ExpressCard WCDMA modem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vghty, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Vghty macrumors newbie

Hi,

I bought a Huwei E870, a WCDMA/UMTS telecom module in expresscard/34 format.

It works great, but my MBP crashed several times when removing the card from the slot (after I correctly disconnected and quit the software that comes with the card).

The manual of the device tells me to 'eject' the card from the OSX menu bar, but unfortunately no such icon is there. Is there any way to 'activate' this icon?

thanks in advance, rudi

2. Vghty thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Unfortunately, no reply yet. Still have this problem.

To stimulate people, I send a picture of the icon that is supposed to come in the menu bar according the manual, but does not.

It says:
    "Unknown supplier"
    "USB controller"
    "Turn card power off"

Does anyone have any clue how to activate this item?

Thanks

Attached Files:

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm... I've never seen this Icon when used with ExpressCards, I think it's only used with PCcards/PCIMCIA

Anyway, ExpressCards I use in my slot, including ESATA cards. I'd normal eject the drives from the finder, then 'push in' the card to release and that's it. Perhaps if it's wireless modem card, you should try disconnecting from the network prior to ejection?

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Not sure what those menus are saying, but on my Verizon expresscard there is an antenna icon in the menubar with a menu selection to power off. You need to do that before physically ejecting the card.

5. Vghty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying, UltraNEO*. But I think the icon is used with Expresscards nevertheless. If I search with Google, I get several user manuals or comments on Expresscard devices referring to this icon:

Universal Audio UAD Xpander Xtreme ExpressCard DSP: "When you want to disconnect the Xpander, you must quit all the host applications and “eject” the Xpander from the ExpressCard icon in the OS ."

Apogee SymphonyMobile (professional sound card): "Verify that the ExpressCard icon appears in the. Menu Bar at the upper right hard corner of the screen. "

Just two random references, but they point at this icon being used (also?) for Expresscards.

Best, Rudi

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry, non of the cards I'm using activates the icon your talking about...

7. Vghty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Interesting, this seems to learn us that not all Expresscards activate this symbol (I assumed this was just a problem with mine).

Still hope to find a way to get this icon to work (or any other way to remove my card without casual system crashes).

I understood that, apart from supporting a PCI Express x1 lane, Cardbus slots also have one USB 2.0 port. I expect my Huawei data card is using just the latter. (In 'About this Mac' it only shows up as a USB device.) Maybe there is an explanation there?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have a eSATA card and when I eject the card (as in I click "Power Off") the icon disappears and then I can pull out the card with no issues. And mine shows up as a PCI Express device.

9. ToeDog macrumors newbie

ExpressCard eject

Hi Vghty,
    I use a Verizon ExpressCard in my MacBook, running Leopard. It places a network icon on the top bar, which looks like this (leftmost icon, on and off).

So before I remove the card from the machine, I click these bars (indicating signal strength) and select "Disconnect" then I click it again and select "Turn Verizon Card Off." The LED on the card stays on even after I've clicked this Turn Card Off button, but it does in fact turn the card off, as far as the software is concerned.

Anyway, the icon is just a link into the network settings. Strangely, I don't see the "Turn Card Off" option available in the Network Preferences section, nor do I see an option to show or not show this network icon.

Sorry I can't be of further help but at least I think this shows what the instructions where expecting you to see.

Attached Files: