how to eject disk with external account

Discussion in 'macOS' started by muzim, Feb 28, 2011.

1. muzim macrumors newbie

Hi,
    after several months of PHD syncing nightmares I recently opted for an external account on a portable firewire drive.
    It seems to be working very nicely, allowing me to switch from a portable macbook pro to an imac rapidly and without problems.
    the only thing that I was not expecting is that when I logout from my external account and get to the login window, if I unplug the firewire external drive I always get the error message saying that the drive was unplugged and it should have been ejected before. From Apple' s manuals this should not happen and I should be able to safely unplug the drive at the login window.
    Anybody out there with same problem? Any solution or suggestion?

thanks

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

OS X is based on BSD and is a kind of Unix underneath. So all Volumes (hard drives) need to be "mounted" to a user's desktop so the user can get into it. Since Unix is so user driven (one user can not see another user, etc) and mounts a drive it needs to be "ejected". So before you log out just drag the disk icon to the Trash Can and the Trash Can turns to an eject symbol. Also you could just hightlight the disk icon and with your free hand press the command key+e (at the same time) and this will eject the Volume right away.

Just on HFS+ volumes just yanking the cable while the Mac still has power can eventually cause problems with the interface port. So do yourself a favor and Reset your Pram.