how to eject stuck (scratched) DVDs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IAmNotMyName, Apr 22, 2007.

1. IAmNotMyName macrumors newbie

How do I eject a stuck (scratched) disk from the DVD drive? There is no place to poke a paper clip and of course no button.

Sometimes I get a scratched DVD, and it will get stuck and just spin away trying to read the disk until all I can do is reboot the machine to get it to allow me to eject the disk.

edit: this is on a macbook.

2. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

upon startup, hold down the trackpad button. The disc should eject.

3. IAmNotMyName thread starter macrumors newbie

is there a way to get the disk out w/out a reboot?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Open iTunes, choose Eject CD

5. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

You beat me to it. lol. But CanadaRAM is correct. iTunes will force eject the disc...I am not sure if it will if the disc is still spinning and will not mount, but hey it's worth a try. It's under "Controls---->Eject Disc" or just press "Command + E". Hope this helps.

Cheers

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Ironically computers with a superior operating system requires you to destroy your super elite 6 months uptime to eject an unreadable CD...

This is something that really bugs me. Why can't they add some force eject Opt-click option or something?!

7. IAmNotMyName thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, but it is scratched DVDs (mostly from the public library) that usually cause me this problem, not CDs.

8. Jessy macrumors regular

The MacBook Pro is too thin to accommodate the metal strips on a lot of library DVD's. It's really annoying. Here's the trick:

Hold the eject button, turn the laptop upside-down, and keep whacking it with reasonable force in the area of the optical drive. Works every time.

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Any solution that requires you repeatedly hit your $2000 computer is, by definition, not a solution. :eek:

10. Jessy macrumors regular

I said reasonable force. Believe me, after 2 hours of your MacBook Pro constantly going through the mechanical eject routine without success, you'd do what needs to be done too.

11. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Uhm...It's Actually "Eject Disc" not "Eject CD". CanadaRAM was still correct, meaning, this will cause a force eject of whatever disc is in the optical drive. You should have seen this if you went to iTunes as I described above.

Cheers

12. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I have had luck using a driver's license. Insert the license into the slot just above the disc and press the eject button. The disc should slide right out. Then take your MacBook in to have the disc drive replaced/repaired.

13. hopejr macrumors 6502

I tried this with no disc in the drive, and it made a noise, so I expect it will work.

14. Palestrina macrumors newbie

Yeah, pressing "eject disc" in iTunes doesn't work. Rebooting while pressing the trackpad button down? Doesn't work? Sliding a credit card into the slot while it's trying to eject? Bingo.