How to embed QT movie beautifully like on apple.com

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jdavtz, Apr 16, 2007.

1. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

I've not seen Quicktime movies embedded as elegantly as the ones on the new Final Cut pages on apple.com are - see http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/

How do I go about making the embedded movie look integrated in the page like that, with the control bar and button etc?

Thanks for any advice.
    Jonathan.

2. 7masscom macrumors member

QT and Javascript

Looking at the source code, they use javascript to control the QT movie and have created a custom interface to control the embedded clips. Probably using Apples WebObjects:

<!-- #include virtual="/finalcutstudio/includes/scripts.inc"-->
    <script src="/global/scripts/slider.js" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <script src="/global/scripts/ac_quicktime.js" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <script src="/global/scripts/lib/event_mixins.js" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <script src="/global/scripts/frontrow_redux.js" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    defaultId = 'intro';
    </script>

Personally, I've started to convert all my QT to .FLV and use flash to customize the look. That way you don't need QT or WMP (for Mac or Windows users).

3. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

4. pigbat macrumors regular

What are you using to convert to flash? Can I embed an flv on my .mac site?

5. 7masscom macrumors member

Converting QT to Flash

I use Flash's Video Encoder to convert QT to FLV files. If you don't have Flash, a free alternative would be FFMPEG:

http://www.ffmpegx.com/flv.html

As far as placing .flv and .swf files on a .Mac account I've never tried it. Shouldn't be a problem though.

6. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Please don't use Flash. Flash video sucks! QuickTime provides a much cleaner, richer image. They have info on the developers pages on how to customize QuickTime for the web.

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

This isn't completely true. While I will agree that many of the Quicktime formats are a bit better, overall it depends on how compressed the videos are. Generally, people compress Flash videos (.flv) down to just a few megabytes, while they leave Quicktime videos at 30-100 megabytes.

8. Nall macrumors regular

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

A decent number still have QuickTime though.

Like everyone with iTunes at least.