how to empty all files and all subdirectories of 1 folder to another folder?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lip5016, Jul 19, 2014.

1. lip5016 macrumors regular

hello, i am trying ot figure out how to empty all files and all subdirectories of 1 folder into another folder (or be able to simple collapse all the files into 1 main folder)?

i work with audio samples all day, and typically, they come in these really annoying folders, where there will be 1 type of sample in each folder and in each subdirectory.. it's super annoying to have to copy and paste over the contents of each folder into 1 "general" main-directory.. is there any kind of way to basically empty all the individual files of a folder (regardless if it's in a subdirectory or not) into one giant "all-containing" folder? i obviously wouldn't be trying to do something like this on an entire harddisk, but probably something like a .5-2gb folder at a time.. please let me know, would be great! thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

You open the parent folder of that mess and press CMD+F and limit the search to that folder and then go to the top right where you can enter text and just enter "." or ".wav" or whatever file suffix those files use.
    Then you select all files via CMD+A, make sure no folders are displayed and selected and then grab all files and move them to a second window with the target folder open. Voilà.

3. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

i love you

4. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

there's only one problem now.. the problem is that a ton of the files within the many subdirectories share very generic names, such as "Snare" or "Clap", even though they're completely different samples .. i usually like to select the option "Keep Both" when the dialog appears, but with larger # of files, it doesn't give me that option.. i just have "Skip, Stop, Replace" .. how do i go about keeping it so that all of the generic-named files will be added to the same folder, without being replaced by the other ones? i don't mind having (copy) next to the filename, just as long as they're all there.. what can i do? thanks!

Attached Files:

5. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

actually, nevermind! i did some more research and found out that when the "Skip, Stop, Replace" dialogue comes up, to simply just hold down the "Option" key and the dialogue will change to the one that has "Keep Both" as the options! dopeee