How to enable calls from Yosemite

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by kmores, Jun 3, 2014.

1. kmores macrumors newbie

kmores

Anyone know how to enable making and answering calls on my Yosemite installed MBP? Calls don't appear on my desktop like during the keynote.

Thanks.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Have you tried pairing your MBP with your iPhone? I suspect that your MBP would behave like a Bluetooth headset for your iPhone. Sorry, I'm flying blind here because I dont even have Yosemite installed yet.

3. PlainEight macrumors newbie

I don't believe it's currently available on the Yosemite Beta.

4. kmores thread starter macrumors newbie

kmores

Sure it works in the beta

Plenty of people are talking about it.

5. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

6. GoldenChild macrumors regular

GoldenChild

I just tried pairing my iPhone on iOS 8 beta and it wouldn't work with my Air on Yosemite beta. The iPhone said "The macbook air is not supported". Maybe it's coming on later betas?

7. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Calling functionality is not available in Developer Preview 1. Maybe Developer Preview 2 or Developer Preview 3. Its all up in the air. It could not be a part of the Developer Preview and be put in for final release.

8. adziedzic78 macrumors newbie

Where did you get this information from that it was not a working feature in this Dev preview? I just tried it myself and it worked just fine actually.. although I cannot get Handoff functionality working.. calling and sms were the 2 features that actually worked for me from the start with no config needed..

9. c0LdFire macrumors regular

Do inbound calls work, or only outbound from your contacts app?

10. adziedzic78 macrumors newbie

No sadly so far only outgoing calls work..

11. 7ilc4 macrumors newbie

I have os x yosemite dp2 installed and still cannot receive calls on my mbp (mid 2010). I have iPhone 5 (iOS 8 beta 2 ) and all devices are connected to same WIFI and iCloud account. When i try to make a call from mac i get pop up showing that my iPhone is not available. Does somebody know what can i do to make this thing working? Thanks

12. rssfed23 macrumors member

It's been working for me since Beta 2 on iPhone and OSX.

I found that by specifically pairing my phone and mac via bluetooth this caused it to STOP working. Perhaps this has something to do with it using BT LE, but I genuinely don't know.

One thing I did notice; I sign into my iCloud account via my gmail address. I also have a @icloud.com and @me.com on the same Apple account. It didn't work when devices were signed in via @gmail.com, but when I switched them all around to @icloud.com it started working. But like I say; the two are not paired directly as you normally would with Bluetooth it just....works.

BTW: You say you're on a 2010 MBP? If so I don't believe your mac will ever support continuity!

See the following:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/17/yosemite-handoff-bluetooth-le/
    Go to About this Mac > System Report and look for " Continuity Supported:" under the "bluetooth" section. If it says no; then I expect this will be your problem.... (although theres some uncertainty as to if this applies to Continuity, handoff or both including calling at this point in time! It works for some not for others....)

Attached Files:

13. tdar macrumors 6502a

His mac will support calling and SMS messages but will not support Handoff. But in the beta 2 release there is a known issue that Calling is over the wrong network transport- BT when it should be over Wi-Fi. It's also VERY buggy. We'll need to give it some time for them to work out these issues.

14. rssfed23 macrumors member

Thanks for clearing that up! - Explains why the calls stop working if I disable BT!

15. kurolap macrumors member

Sms isn't working for me, I see all the messages but get an error when I try to reply via computer