Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
is this just a third party app or is it built into the OS like the 3gs' one?

i wouldn't pay for it if it was just an app...

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
is this just a third party app or is it built into the OS like the 3gs' one?

i wouldn't pay for it if it was just an app...

Third party app, there is no native functionality in 3G or 2G for voice recognition.

And I am not making a recommendation one way or the other, just passing on the info.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I am told it's available for a nominal fee thru Cydia

Correction: It is not in Cydia, it is in the App Store. It doesn't require a jailbreak at all.

Advil: it is not the native 3GS voice control; it is an app which can be programmed to control various phone features in a similar way. You have to open it using a springboard icon, though. The previous thread was about a pirated version modified to look sort of like the native voice control, but it is not the same.

AppleJuiced: Voice dialing is an essential safety feature for those of us who drive.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Correction: It is not in Cydia, it is in the App Store. It doesn't require a jailbreak at all.

Advil: it is not the native 3GS voice control; it is an app which can be programmed to control various phone features in a similar way. You have to open it using a springboard icon, though. The previous thread was about a pirated version modified to look sort of like the native voice control, but it is not the same.

AppleJuiced: Voice dialing is an essential safety feature for those of us who drive.

And it sucks that Apple just can't let us have this capability for the 3G. However, this app will not let you do things you would be able to do on a 3GS, since you have to open the app to use it.

coopersm

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2005
I actually really like the voice control feature on the 3gs. One can easily hold down the home button without looking at the phone (or the mic on the headset) and make a call to anyone on my phone without looking. It might be my favorite thing about the 3gs perhaps aside from backgrounder not crapping out all the time due to ram limit in the 3g.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.