Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daum

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2015
man i feel better now still owning samsung s7 edge
small blue led on upper right front flashes unobtrusively for missed calls text mail etc.
one feature aapl should copy from samsung
True, when I had iPhones, I won't know I had a notification if I missed it when it first came in. The led lets me know. But I think the best way is having the app icon appear on the always on display.

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Most people are accustomed to seeing messages pop up on a smartphone lock screen. It's 2020. But if I were to enable LED flash notifications, most participants in the room would think my iPhone was malfunctioning. The iPhone 11 has an extremely bright flash, at least twice as bright as iPhone 6.
I wish it would automatically adjust the brightness at night. I’ve about blinded myself sometimes.
In reference to the bright LED if you were wondering.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Although (to me) using Android is a yucky experience, I love the bright LED lamp on the front of my Samsung Galaxy that shows battery charging when it's plugged in (and can be used for notifications). That's about all like about the phone

Reactions: darthgreen

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Also, if you have a "crystal" case, you don't even have to put it upside down, the light will be partially absorbed by the case and reflected around :) Quite useful.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Although (to me) using Android is a yucky experience, I love the bright LED lamp on the front of my Samsung Galaxy that shows battery charging when it's plugged in (and can be used for notifications). That's about all like about the phone

The notification LED was the only thing I really liked about using an Android phone as well. I found it useful. It was also cool, in a gimmicky way. I remember it turned blue for a Facebook alert, purple for a Yahoo alert, etc. Apple doesn't like lights, let alone colored ones. lol

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
I've turned this on ever since it took me a panic stricken 15-20 minutes to find my iPhone 5 in a dark club/bar.

That said, now that I have an Apple Watch, I can probably turn it off since if you press and hold the iPhone ping button the camera flash will strobe, and I never go to clubs/bars anymore ?‍♂️

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is a workaround, not a feature.
I automatically despise people that have a flashing led for incoming calls and notifications. Look at moi! writ large.
The worst people use this feature.
Apple should have the most elegant front visual notification

instead, we get a workaround on the wrong side of the phone. And that workaround is a camera flash.
Why would ANYONE want to do that
It's an accessibility feature.
[automerge]1591685703[/automerge]
Yea a flash would be too much... LEDs on my Samsung depend on what kind of notification I get. They weren't too bright. But on my S10+ and Note 10+, we lost the led so I icons just pop up on the always on display. Or you can have the camera cut out ring act as an indicator. Either way, I find those features less distracting than you're whole screen lighting up and people reading your messages. Haha maybe that's just me.
Right, in the case of iPhones it's the flash LED.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
I use a clear case with my iPhone 7. The clear case amplifies the flash and you definitely see it light up around the phone. Kind of a cool effect.

I have use this since Apple add this option years ago (can’t remember how long ago). Clear case or coloured clear case are awesome for this flash. Yeah I like that light all around iPhone effect when on desk etc.

Reactions: NetMage

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
Good old front notification LED was always missing from the iPhone... ("Can't innovate")
I used to have a blue led for new emails, green for texts and red for missed calls on phones had actually had features.

While we are on notifications: That you can't get the phones notifications into OSX notifications or Windows Notifications bar (when iCould is installed) is one of those things where Apple demonstrates its limited innovation... Same goes for having the iOS screen on the desktop WITH input. That this is not possible in 2020 is a real shame... instead you have pick up your phone or align your head on top of it to unlock FaceID.

Reactions: darthgreen

NetMage

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
If you think an iPhone flash is 1,000 lumens you need to buy nicer flashlights.

Creative424

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2021
I got this IPhone 12 as a gift but I come to find out this phones is horrible they’re so sleppery it falls out off your hand and the square design makes it hard to text with one hand no led light notification it has a flash notification weird who wants to see the big flash flashing is loud annoying iPhone the most horrible phone I had in my entire life and I’m almost 50 stupid phone is so private I can’t get no apps with led light notifications you paying for damm name apple yikes

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I got this IPhone 12 as a gift but I come to find out this phones is horrible they’re so sleppery it falls out off your hand and the square design makes it hard to text with one hand no led light notification it has a flash notification weird who wants to see the big flash flashing is loud annoying iPhone the most horrible phone I had in my entire life and I’m almost 50 stupid phone is so private I can’t get no apps with led light notifications you paying for damm name apple yikes
iPhones never had a notification LED.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.