how to enable sshd in imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by samwun8899, Apr 8, 2013.

1. samwun8899 macrumors newbie

Hi, with
    $ uname -a
    Darwin Samuels-iMac.local 12.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.3.0: Sun Jan 6 22:37:10 PST 2013; root:xnu-2050.22.13~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

I am wondering how to enable sshd for remote access.
    I have enabled Remote Login from System Preference, but sshd is not enabled after rebooting the system.
    I also found ssh-agent is running in this system.

Can anyone tell me instructions about how to setup ssh-agent/sshd for this system?

Very appreciate for any suggestion.
    Thanks
    Samuel

2. csjo00 macrumors regular

Apart from turning on Remote Login, you don't have to do anything. It's just SSH; it's not sshd.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

SSHD = Solid State Hard drive (hardware)
    SSH = Secure Shell (software)

I think the OP just got a little confused. But as csj stated, there is only SSH.

4. HunterMaximus macrumors member

No, sshd is the SSH daemon, the server software for SSH. SSHD has also been used recently by Seagate for their solid state hybrid drives (hard drives with some flash on board for performance benefits), although it's not necessarily a widespread term. The proper nomenclature for a pure solid state drive is SSD, not SSHD.

In regards to the OP's question, turning on the Remote Login preference is all that's required to enable SSH on a Mac. The SSH daemon doesn't run all the time, it's launched on-demand by the launchd system. Just because there's no sshd process doesn't mean that you can't SSH into your system.

If you're having problems with SSH access, it's not necessarily because there's no sshd process. You should probably post elsewhere (like the OS X forum), as it's not really an iMac-specific problem.