Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

How to Enable the Classic Startup Chime on Newer Macs

sunlit

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2011
They better find a command to enable username/password prompt login for mac os, instead of always displaying username (Yes with filevault enabled)

Comment

smayer97

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Off topic. BUT

Already exists. Look in Users & Groups System Preferences then click Login Options...select "Display login window as • Name and password"

Comment

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
I can confirm that this start up sound Chime enable works beautifully on the Mac Pro 2019 ( Model 7,1 )!

Reactions: smayer97
Comment

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2010
Activated this on my 2018 MacBook Pro - works a treat!

But the chime itself is different; the attack is very soft and the fall-off is greater. The chord is also more ‘pronounced’. Why on earth would they change the recording but not activate it?

Comment

Ital

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
You can do it in Terminal or with Onyx , parameters , login

Screenshot 2020-03-10 at 18.36.21.png

Comment

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
The file ('AXEFIAudio_VoiceOver_Boot.aiff') appears in the latest iBridge update. Extract the ipsw, mount 048-98075-057.dmg and navigate to /Volumes/bridgeOSJazzC17P2551.UniversalBridgeOS/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BridgeAccessibilitySupport.framework

Comment

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
The "Onyx - View - Parameters - Login - Startup sound - Turn On - Apply" does not work (no startup chime at all) in iMac 27-inch 5K (mid 2017) with macOS 10.12.6 (16G2136) Sierra.

Comment

henrus

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2003
Has anyone figured out how to increase the volume of the startup chime after making this work? On my 2019 Retina 5K 27-inch iMac running Catalina 10.15.4, the volume is really low, even though my sound output settings are at near max volume. I'm just running sound using the internal iMac speakers.

Comment

russell_314

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Activated this on my 2018 MacBook Pro - works a treat!

But the chime itself is different; the attack is very soft and the fall-off is greater. The chord is also more ‘pronounced’. Why on earth would they change the recording but not activate it?
I've heard this too. My only comparison is from memory of my old MacBook Pro's to my current Mac mini. It sounds different to me but that could be the internal speaker setup.

Comment

toke lahti

macrumors 68030
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
now we just need the glowing Apple Logo and the sleep pulse light back and we're good! :)
Naah, sleep pulse light is all we need.
Did any desktops have glowing logo back in the day?
[automerge]1591805393[/automerge]
I've heard this too. My only comparison is from memory of my old MacBook Pro's to my current Mac mini. It sounds different to me but that could be the internal speaker setup.
Where was the original sound stored? Rom?
Maybe the quality came from that whatever chip playbacked it, wasn't complex enough to decode any modern complicated compression codec?
And if the current chip can decode certain codec, the chime is compressed to save storage (in this rom chip?) and sounds bad, but nevermind, since nobody's hearing it?

Last edited:
Comment

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2019
I also miss the creative and whimsical error noises as well. From the airplane cabin chime to the actual 'dah dah DAH!' doom sound to the sound of an actual crash it just felt great, even when it error'd.

Also miss hard disk access lights. Many times on modern hardware I wonder if the machine is stuck/frozen at the hourglass cursor, or rainbow wheel of doom on a Mac, wishing I had confirmation of activity before unneccessarily force-rebooting it.

Also want the actual sound back in a computer. I'd personally buy a modern hard disk that brings back the jet engine spooling along with all the beep whirr clatter--the sound of work being done! the sound of the future!

Comment

BorgCube

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2012
the Delta Quadrant
I also miss the creative and whimsical error noises as well. From the airplane cabin chime to the actual 'dah dah DAH!' doom sound to the sound of an actual crash it just felt great, even when it error'd.

Also miss hard disk access lights. Many times on modern hardware I wonder if the machine is stuck/frozen at the hourglass cursor, or rainbow wheel of doom on a Mac, wishing I had confirmation of activity before unneccessarily force-rebooting it.

Also want the actual sound back in a computer. I'd personally buy a modern hard disk that brings back the jet engine spooling along with all the beep whirr clatter--the sound of work being done! the sound of the future!

That hard drive brought back some memories of my childhood. At my work I have a picture of a disk just like that - I think they were before IDE? You knew the computer was working when it made those noises :).

Comment

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2019
That hard drive brought back some memories of my childhood. At my work I have a picture of a disk just like that - I think they were before IDE? You knew the computer was working when it made those noises :).

It was an MFM stepper motor hard disk. There were many others that had the cool, iconic 'we're going forward to the future' effect back in the '80s. The one example I linked to I can tell was from an IBM PS/2 Model Z. We had one of those in high school in the library, will never forget that power-up sequence.

Reactions: BorgCube
Comment

smayer97

macrumors member
May 24, 2010

Try MenuMeters (free)

or iStatmenus (not free)

Comment

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2019
Neither of those apps will work if the computer were actually frozen. As in unresponsive, spinning the rainbow wheel or in Windows, a static hourglass cursor. Hard disk access lights are a useful feature. Macs never had 'em, but PCs used to. Not sure why they got removed. Especially in an era where you cannot hear the hard disk at all.

Still annoys me on Windows, that you cannot reboot a PC by using ctrl-alt-del anymore. It always brings up the stupid task manager. Ctrl-alt-del was always the method to restart a PC for years. Even in Windows--that is, until Windows NT/XP. I haven't adjusted even today. Still find myself doing the ol'e 'three finger salute' hoping it'd restart, to no avail. Power buttons also don't act like power buttons. Unless you hold them down for 30 seconds hoping something will happen, so if it's truly unresponsive these days I just pull the plug from the wall. Not a great way to ensure no OS corruption...

Comment

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2019
Works on all Macs especially if you run Big Sur as well. Unfortunately, unlike my PowerBook G4, it doesn't chime when waking up from sleep mode. I hardly reboot so I hardly hear it unless the system completely freezes up.

Comment

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Works on all Macs especially if you run Big Sur as well. Unfortunately, unlike my PowerBook G4, it doesn't chime when waking up from sleep mode. I hardly reboot so I hardly hear it unless the system completely freezes up.
Maybe my memory if faulty, but I don't recall my PowerBook G4 (or earlier Macs) chiming on wake from sleep. Historically, the chime was the indicator of the completion of POST (power on self test), which does not happen after wake from sleep. Chiming after wake from sleep would also be horribly annoying as it happens throughout the day. Imagine an office full of Macs chiming throughout the day as people return from coffee breaks, lunch, meetings, rest room, etc.

Reactions: smayer97
Comment

nickdalzell1

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2019
Maybe it was waking up from hibernation then? because before the chime died completely, the PB G4 did it on power-up, as well as reboots, and even waking from sleep/hibernation. It was a nice touch. I think my MBP from 2012 also did this but always made me enter my password to get into it.

As for the glowing logo, it had the unique quality to it in that no other desktop had any such feature, and made Apple devices stand out. It also provided some advertising for Apple indirectly as well. Taking that away took away another way that made Apple unique. Now they're homogenized like smartphones. I had someone confuse my Samsung A01 with some other employee's iPhone X, almost mistakenly handing it to them (both are in black cases) until I said 'hey! that's my phone! and it's a Samsung!' and the response was 'Sorry, I thought it was her iPhone' and that really hit home. Does anyone else miss when devices all looked different? I'm tired of everything looking the same. I wish Apple would try to stand out again. The homogenization began back when iOS 7 came out, flattening things right after Microsoft tried it with Windows 8 (which failed for Microsoft, somehow, but succeeded elsewhere) and shortly after all the things that made Apple unique also started getting removed. The only thing that really separates my 2019 MBP from an HP Spectre is the touch bar.

The only way I can even differentiate or feel like I'm not conforming is by using older Apple or older Samsung devices. I suppose that's the only way I'll feel better about it. I really do miss sliding keyboards, or glowing logos, screen sizes smaller than 5", or iOS back when it didn't look like someone designed it in MS Paint. So PowerBook G4, iPad 2, and Samsung Tab 2's and Galaxy Relay it is...At least, until the whole imagination and creativity returns to Apple or other OEMs instead of this homogenized garbage.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.