Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the common complaints about Siri is the vocal component -- speaking to Siri must be done verbally, which can be embarrassing and inconvenient in social situations. Apple hasn't provided a clear cut solution like an integrated Siri and Spotlight search feature, but iOS has had a Type to Siri feature since iOS 11.

Type to Siri is a function designed for those who are unable to speak, but it can be enabled by anyone who would like to try typing to Siri instead of speaking to Siri.

Enabling Type to Siri

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Choose "General."
  3. Select the "Accessibility" section.
  4. Scroll down and "Siri."
    typetosiri1-800x706.jpg
  5. Toggle on "Type to Siri."
With Type to Siri enabled, when the Home button (or Side button if your device doesn't have a Home button) is pressed to activate Siri, it brings up the keyboard and an option to type a command to Siri. Typed Siri commands work just like spoken Siri commands - Siri will respond to questions like "What's the weather?" or "What movies are playing nearby?"

typetosiri2-800x708.jpg

When you have Type to Siri turned on, it's an all or nothing setting. All commands must be typed if you access Siri through the Home button or Side button. If you say "Hey Siri," though, Siri will respond to spoken questions as normal, so you can use spoken commands alongside typed commands in this way. Siri will also respond to voice commands when the AirPods are connected and the personal assistant is activated, either via a tap on the AirPods or by saying "Hey Siri" handsfree on AirPods 2.

Article Link: How to Enable Type to Siri in iOS

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I only use siri for one thing alone

"Siri, take me home" when looking to get out of an area I don't know while driving.

Super handy but super that's about it.

vicviper789

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
"Siri, Google how to disable Siri" would be the only use I get out of it.

But seriously, why type to siri instead of just using a search engine? Seems like using a shoe as a hammer

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
The all or nothing is the big killer here.
I'd love type to siri 60% of the time, but they Hey Siri is not reliable enough for the rest. Bummer...

It seems that it would be really easy to bring both up at the same time: Keyboard + Vocal Siri

Reactions: gvmelbrty

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
That’s perfect and very handy for deaf user like me.

Say if I have iPhone X, how will that work since there’s no home button? Was curious.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Does Siri respond back in text or talk at you? If not then it's not helpful if you don't like it talking to you or are deaf.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Does Siri respond back in text or talk at you? If not then it's not helpful if you don't like it talking to you or are deaf.

That's a setting you control. If you look at the image MacRumors posted, immediately below the "Type to Siri" toggle you'll see a "Voice Feedback" section - that's where you can set it.

I've set mine to "Hands-Free Only". It mostly works as expected, with one caveat: If you do a "Hey Siri" question (which gets an audible response), and then use the "Type to Siri" box from that window to ask a second question - the second answer will also be spoken.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
That's a setting you control. If you look at the image MacRumors posted, immediately below the "Type to Siri" toggle you'll see a "Voice Feedback" section - that's where you can set it.

I've set mine to "Hands-Free Only". It mostly works as expected, with one caveat: If you do a "Hey Siri" question (which gets an audible response), and then use the "Type to Siri" box from that window to ask a second question - the second answer will also be spoken.

Aha! Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.