How to enable Wi-Fi Sync in 10.5 Beta 2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DSchwartz88, Jun 24, 2011.

1. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

Updated my dev phone to beta 2 successfully and did my initial sync. I never got a popup or anything asking if I want to enable Wi-Fi sync. Anyone get this working? If so how did you get the window to pop up? Is there a way to manually set it up.

EDIT: I'm running a Mac Pro and using the ethernet connection. That shouldn't matter though, all the other bonjour services work fine (which is what im assuming this works on). I dont see the option on the summary tab.

Thanks!

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

There is no popup you need to connect your device via USB and enable WiFi sync in iTunes 10.5 beta 2.

3. DSchwartz88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right now it seems that "Wi-Fi" sync wont occur over an ethernet connection. Seems a bit ridiculous to me if both devices are on the same network....

4. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Really? It seems ridiculous to you that WiFi sync won't work without a WiFi network?

LOL

5. Mascots, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Edit: I understand what you mean now, even if your Mac Pro is connected to the same network, iTunes only searches the wireless branch of the network, not the wired computers. So, in order to Wifi sync either:
    1. Your Mac Pro and iPhone are on the same wireless branch of the network (while your Mac Pro uses the Ethernet as it's primary Internet connection).
    2. You create a Wi-Fi network from your Mac Pro (Internet sharing) and have your iPhone connected to that network.

I don't believe iOS's wireless syncing uses Bonjour to discover devices, instead using some other method to find iTunes' wireless presence (which is why you can't wirelessly open iTunes to sync your phone, it has to be open already).

I feel like network syncing is something Apple will add in the future, but this being the first beta of Wireless syncing, it was excluded because of the additional complexities.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

lol thats what im thinking maybe hes trying to bounce it off the starbucks connection next door

7. r3vo714 macrumors newbie

I would hope that a developer would have a basic understanding of networking...

8. DSchwartz88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you guys being serious? The jailbreak Wi-Fi sync application worked over ethernet as well. Just because your not a wireless client doesn't mean your not sharing the same DHCP server. Thats what the same "network" means. It's not like the wireless and wired networks are on different subnets or use different DHCP servers. This is basic networking guys. Dont preach what you dont know.

If Apple's implementation requires a direct Wi-Fi connection that would be fairly ridiculous, and pretty lazy on their part.

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I too am running a wired ethernet connection to my mac (hackintosh) and I do not get wifi sync.
    BUT my imac which is ALSO wired and has Airport disabled does get a wifi sync option!

So it does work if the computer is using wired ethernet.

10. DSchwartz88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. So it's a simple check to see if Airport is even there? That just seems ridiculous... :(

Ill do some poking around and see if there a manual override buried in some plist or something.

11. shandyman Suspended

way to misunderstand that statement...........

12. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Sounds more like it is a bug to Wi-Fi sync discovering iTunes.

I mean, it is a beta, afterall.

13. DSchwartz88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Got Wi-Fi sync working!

Gotta update to 10.6.8, d'oh. Thats a fair requirement (I just wish they would have told me!)

14. Icedog macrumors member

;) They do:
    WiFi Syncing
    In iOS 5.0 beta 2, wireless syncing is now available for the Mac. It requires iTunes 10.5 beta 2 and OS X 10.6.8 or Lion. You will see an option to enable wireless syncing when you connect your device to iTunes with the USB cable. It is recommended you perform your initial sync with a cable after restoring your device.

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/#releasenotes/General/RN-iOSSDK-5_0/_index.html

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

lol must of been the fine print

16. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Ah, that explains it! haha can't beleive I issed that, I read over the whole release notes while downloading! :eek:

17. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I have had a brief search, anyone had problems installing iTunes beta 2? I am on Lion DP4 and Beta1 of iTunes 10.5 at the moment, I get to the authenticate my login screen of the installer, I put in my login pass, and it just does nothing.

Anyone had this or know where I can find a solution?

18. helloimD4NNY, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

Disregard this post. I forgot that I pushed off my Mac's system update. Noob moment. Lol.

19. nandor690, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2011

nandor690 macrumors regular

nandor690

Actually it does work even if your wifi on your mac is turned off.