How to Encode to Mpeg-2 for DVD Output

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by prs986, Nov 9, 2007.

1. prs986 macrumors regular

So I'm using Mpeg Streamclip to convert my HD footage from FCE 3.5 so I can go straight to DVD without encoding. But Mpeg Streamclip wont encode to mpeg-2 because the original file has to be mpeg-1 or mpeg-2. Now when I import from my HV20 to FCE, it automatically converts it Apple Intermediate Codec. Is there a way to import the footage without FCE converting the footage to AIC? Thanks.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

>>I'm using Mpeg Streamclip to convert my HD footage from FCE 3.5 so I can go straight to DVD without encoding<<

What does that mean? Are you somehow magically skipping the encoding that goes on within MPEG Streamclip? And if the video isn't encoded properly, it won't be a DVD-Video (compatible with DVD players) ... or were you trying to make a data DVD (DVD-ROM)? If you are trying to make a DVD-Video, what authoring program are you planning to use?

-DH

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well the camera stores the footage in HDV format which FCE transcodes to AIC. You will need to encode your footage no matter what you do.

4. -DH macrumors 65816

FCE HD 3.5 doesn't edit natively in HDV? Hmmm ... I'v been told it does. But regardless, I'd still like to know how you plan to "go straight to DVD without encoding." Even stand-alone DVD recorders enocde the incoming video stream so it adheres to the DVD-Video specification.

-DH

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I have no idea I use FCP. I was just going off his post. He is either capturing from DV tape which means he has HDV source footage or he is capturing live. Both of which would require transcoding to MPEG-2 anyway. So as you say I have no idea how he plans on going to straight to MPEG-2 without encoding.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Nope. Only FCP will work native HDV.

Lethal

7. prs986 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys for your responses. After doing more research I found out there is no way to bypass encoding when it comes to burning dvds. I had just purchased a HV20 and am new to HDV. Very familar with DV though. I was just kind of suprised of the quality when burning HDV to SD dvd. It was lower quality than i was expecting. It was still very good quality. but noticebly not HD.

So my new question how do I get the awesome quality encoding that you see on Hollywood and commercial dvds? Thanks again.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Well, SD DVDs use very lossy compression and have about 1/4 the image resolution of HD so it's not surprise that they are "noticeably not HD."

1. Start w/an awesome Hollywood production and post production cew using awesome Hollywood equipment.
    2. Have an awesome Hollywood compressionist using awesome Hollywood compression equipment make the DVD.
    :D

A more affordable step in the right direction would be to get Final Cut Studio 2 and use Compressor and DVD Studio Pro.

Lethal

9. prs986 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah thats what I assumed. Just thought maybe there was a cheaper way. Oh well. Thanks for the info!