How to encrypt Mac & Backups?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ShaneBunting, Oct 20, 2013.

1. ShaneBunting Suspended

Hi, just got a new 1TB Seagate Backup +

I was considering encrypting my MacBook Air with FileVault2, what are the pros and cons with this?

And will it affect my Time Machine backups?

How do I encrypt my Time Machine backups too?

Will this affect reliability and all? That's what I'm worried about

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Pros are it makes your data secure from thieves. Con is is very slightly slows down your system. You can see some comparison speed tests here. I run Filevault on my 2013 MBA and it is very transparent.

No, it won't impact TM backups at all. You can encrypt your Time Machine backups by checking the box in the select disk window in Time Machine's settings.

[​IMG]

There is really no issue with reliability.

3. opinio macrumors 65816

Just adding to the above, I found a con was that you cannot run disk repair in Disk Utility on an FileVault2 encrypted OS X drive.

I find with Parallels you need to run disk repair occasionally after it has done an enlargement or compression of the virtual drive. Freespace figures can be out.

Another con is that FileVault 2 forces you to have to login after a certain period of inactivity. This became really irritating for me. I could not override it from memory. You could only choose the time of inactivity.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Run Caffeine... simple to prevent the machine from going to sleep.

/Jim

5. opinio macrumors 65816

Caffeine simply keeps the Mac awake and yes I have it. I actually want the Mac to go to sleep and the screen saver to operate. What I don't want is to be forced to input a password each time it wakes up or the screen saver turns off. FileVault 2 forces users to use a password on screen saver and sleep. The user should have a choice.