How to erase a partition?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nightlong, Jun 23, 2013.

1. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

The hard disk on my late 2007 iMac is partitioned. I was running Windows in the smaller partitioned area, but since upgrading OSX to ML the Fusion software for Windows no longer works and I don't need it now anyway.

So I want to erase that partition and return that disk space to OSX use. I've looked up Mac help on partitions, and I've looked in disk utility, but it's not clear to me whether I can erase that partition and that disk space would then be available, or do I have to erase the whole hard disk and reinstall OSX and everything else?

2. simsaladimbamba

You could try Boot Camp Assistant first:

Maybe this almost click-by-click tutorial can help:
    Images are clickable, as they need to be in thumbnail size due to their width.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4=5, 5=6, 6=7
    [​IMG]

3. nightlong thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Thanks. I didn't think of Bootcamp as I thought that was for running Windows native rather than on OSX with Fusion.

4. simsaladimbamba

Since you installed Windows via Boot Camp and then used Fusion to use that partition for its VM, it is only natural to use BCA again for removing the *****.

5. nightlong thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightlong

It was so long ago, and I didn't actually do it myself, so was confused about it. Thanks so much for your help.