How to erase boot camp 5gb disk space? I messed up something.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by coffey7, Aug 12, 2007.

1. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I installed the boot camp program. Instead of installing windows I was going to install Ubuntu linux. Well I messed something up big time. When I restart my computer a message comes up and says can't find hard disk. When I restart and hold down the alt/option button I can boot into the mac harddrive(without a option for linux). The linux was not installed at all. How do I erase the 5 gb for the windows partition? I tried to put in the mac install disk and it still would not let me reinstall over the entire 55 gb. It only said 50. I went to the disk utility but It would not let me erase the windows section.

2. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

boot camp has a feature to remove a partion if i remember correctly...

if bootcamp doesn't work, take it to the geniuses.
    reinstalling the OS will only reinstal the Mac OS X partion because it's like it's a different hard drive so to speak.

you need to remove the partion itself to get your space back.

3. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

If I ever try to install boot camp again I hope someone will hit me on the head. I need to get rid of this 5gb partition for windows.

4. 66217 Guest

If what sbluetruck does not works, only boot from your Mac OS X DVD and then select "Disk Utility", from there select you Hard Drive and select erase.

After that procede to install OS X again.

5. advocation macrumors member

Open Boot Camp Assistant, and then there is an option called "Restore the startup disk to a single volume".. This will wipe your Windows partition.