How to erase hard drive without cd or on desktop?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Snkedoc, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Snkedoc macrumors newbie

Okay so I recently lost my hard drive. I got a new one on eBay and I believe it has a newer version of Mac OS. I do have the OS 10.4 (tiger) (whoch should work for my laptop) but when I turn on my computer I get the apple logo and the spinnig wheel for hours. If I put the disk in there and hold c I get the same thing. If I hold option with the disk in there it shows me the hard drive disk looking thing and once I click it it does thR apple logo spinning wheel. I believe if I erase the hard drive and reinstall my Mac OS 10.4 that it will work fine. I don't need the newest OS just a laptop that works. I have replaced the hard drive before with no problems but my idiot son put a magnet on my last one wiping it out so I was forced to buy a new one only to be stuck with this
    Problem.

2. tug macrumors 6502

sounds like the drive you bought is bad or its not seated properly. try re-seating it and see if it makes a difference.

3. Bear macrumors G3

What machine do you have? What version of the OS is on the disk you bought? And do you really want to trust your data to a disk with who knows what type of software on it?

Also, if the OS on the disk you bought was from the original install for a different model, there's a strong chance it won't work on your system.

And it wouldn't be legal anyway.

4. Snkedoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Im not sure but i wanna say it was made in 2006-2008. It's a older one. I wanted to erase the whole hard drive and out my tiger on it which should wok on my laptop.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Boot from the installation DVD and on the Menu bar there will be a tool option. Select Disk Utility from Tools - you can repartition and erase the disk from there.

6. Snkedoc thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't. If you read the first post I posted when I put the cd in and hold c it shows the disk and when I click it I get the apple logo and spinning wheel and it stays on that screen. I can't get to the desktop and the cd won't take me anywhere