How to exchange iPhone in the Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nkarpovskiy, Jul 9, 2014.

1. nkarpovskiy macrumors newbie

Hello, guys!
    I am from another country and my iPhone 5s, bought in USA, stopped working (no water damage or any other damage, just doesn't power on).
    My friends go to US tomorrow and I give the this iphone to exchange in the Apple Store.
    Could you please explain me please, how this process goes? They just come to the store, give the iPhone to a rep, say it's broken and wait for a new one to get?
    Or anything special is needed?
    Thanks to everyone in advance!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

They won't necessarily just replace it. They'll try to find what the issue is and hopefully resolve it, and if they can't, then they might replace it, if it's under warranty still and doesn't have some damage or other work that has been done it that might void the warranty.

3. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

The only other thing you might have to worry about is ownership since Apple has beefed up security on the iPhone they might want the registered owner to be with it. Just a thought.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

First, your friend should make a free online reservation to be seen at the Genius Bar. http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/us/en/techsupport/

If they just walk into the store without a reservation, they may have to wait hours until there is an available spot (depending on how busy the store is). Only the technicians that work at the Genius Bar can help. The sales people cannot.

The other thing that Apple will require is that Find my iPhone is disabled on your phone. So make sure you do that before you give the phone to your friends.

5. nkarpovskiy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for replies!
    The problem is that I just can not power on the phone to disable find my iphone. But of course I know the passwords, if they turn it on, we will be able to disable it.
    How do you think, do I need to give them box and all the accessories with the phone itself?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

You should be able to turn off Find My Phone by removing it from your iCloud devices when you sign into iCloud's web site.