How to expect your Al iMac will freeze???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kkat69, Nov 5, 2007.

1. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I'm not saying it's the same for everyone but for those who experience freezes keep a eye out for this.

Photobooth will definitely do it on my machine as well coverflow in iTunes, time machine, and even the intro to a video game.

Soon as I open Photo booth or anything that has some strong animation (ie., coverflow or time machine, et al) I start seeing white artifacts streak randomly across the screen almost like getting static on ye'ole TV.

Shortly thereafter a lockup is guarenteed to happen. May not be instant but it sure as heck does come within a short bit.

Thoughts?

**** EDIT ****

Please include in your response if you notice the artifacts prior to the freezing. It's a simple thing to do. Try switching to a black or very dark background, open up photobooth, itunes, play a quicktime movie, a windowed video game, or time machine and see if you start seeing static type white artifacts. Continue and see if it locks up.

So far since my last lockup I haven't had any issues. But that doesn't mean it won't happen. 50 bucks soon as I have a need to reboot it'll lock up. I'm trying to gather info. "my iMac locked up last night" doesn't help much.

2. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

I have Leopard running on a Mac Pro with an ATI X1900 video card. I also have intermittent freezeups, usually while running a screensaver or iTunes visualizer. It really sounds as if this is an ATI driver issue with Leopard.

3. kkat69 thread starter macrumors 68020

kkat69

But (reading my original post) do you or did you notice the static artifacts prior to the freeze. That's what I'm looking for.

Not really wanting to debate hardware/software issue, just if anyone notices the static artifacts that show up prior to freezes. Like now, since the last freeze, I have had no freezes at all. Been going on 2hrs. The things I do to recreate the static aren't creating it now and thus no freezes.

That's what I'm wondering. I would really like this info to send back to the engineering dept in Apple.

4. meh macrumors newbie

I experienced my first freeze last night,, have had the iMac for 4 weeks now,
    Just installed leopard last night

decided to check out the new iTunes visualizers in fullscreen

thing just freezes