How to export imovie HD project to an HD-video file?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by clickgr, May 25, 2009.

1. clickgr macrumors regular

I use iMovie-HD to edit my High Definition home movies I capture from my Canon 1080i NTSC camcorder. Editing goes perfectly but when I come to the point to export my project to some High-Definition video format the result is disappointing.

If I choose to export in full quality .mov format, the final video file is HUGE; something like 30GB for 30min of video, and my core2duo processor drops frames during playback. If I choose Apple TV format (.m4v), then the file is relatively small with no dropping frames during playback, but resolution is too low less than 720p and overall image quality too bad.

When I choose other formats like DivX, then even with 1080p quality the pixels are too big due to compression method and final image quality still bad.

I’ve also tried .mp4 format in 1080p but in this case there is some misynchronization with the frames apparently due to de-interlace from 1080i to 1080p, and also I notice problems with the synchronization between image and sound. Furthermore, the file has a quiet high bit rate by default, something like 7.000kbps, which causes frame dropping again.

Please can somebody help me on this? What format is the best to create 1080p HD movies from 1080i source for playing back from my Mac, and with what program should I export my video project? Perhaps I need to make changes to the iMovie export settings.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Unfortunately, one of the major problems with HD video is that the resulting files are huge by definition.;). When you play-back HD, you probably want nothing else running, also, what are your export settings currently?

3. clickgr thread starter macrumors regular

Yes of course HD video files are huge but they don’t have to be as big as 30GB for 30min video! HD .mkv movies for instance can be 7-8GB for 2 hours 1080p video and the quality is perfect with no such an extreme demand in processing power during playback. Can I have something similar for my edited home videos and how?

As I said, I have tried different file formats for exporting, but settings in most of the cases are left in “auto” mode.

4. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

That's because it's a compressed format. I wouldn't say the video quality is perfect (compared to a 1080p Blue-Ray for example) but it is decent enough unless you're displaying it on a LARGE screen. You could use Handbrake to convert them to a .mkv file and play around with the settings to suit. Maybe set the files size to a max of 2Gb for example and see how it turns out.

5. clickgr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. If I can reach 1080p .mkv quality for my movies, it's fine for me. Normally I don't play them back in larger than 40" screens.

So what you are saying exactly If I understood correct, is first to export the imovie project to uncompressed .mov file format, and then by using handbrake to convert this .mov to .mkv file and try to fit it to the size I want.

What about the de-interlaced during conversion from 1080i to 1080p. Any suggestion for the settings?