How to export pictures from Mail to Aperture?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by desertman, Dec 3, 2014.

1. desertman, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

desertman macrumors 6502a

How can I export pictures from Mail directly to Aperture? I followed several tips that I could find when searching for this but nothing works.

The last thing I tried is to use a script "SaveAttachments2Aperture.scpt" together with a rule but also this does not work. When I apply this script to an email with pictures attached to it Aperture opens and two (!) projects with the email subject as name get created but both projects remain empty. It also does not help to have Aperture already open when I initiate the script.

I have attached this script here - maybe someone knows why this is not working and how to fix it.

Or does somebody know another way who to export pictures directly from Mail to Aperture?

Greetings - desertman

Attached Files:

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Dunno if it still works but there was a "hot folder" for Aperture. Photos put in it would auto import into Aperture. Might help you.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I get this when I right click on an image in Mail in Yosemite. Do you not have that option?

[​IMG]

4. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I don't have that option. I wonder whether that is a new Yosemite option for Mail. Well, sooner or later I anyway have to update to Yosemite, and then I will probably find out. Or do you have anything special installed on your computer that added this option?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't have anything special installed and I honestly cannot recall if that was there in Mavericks or not. I think in Mavericks only in this spot when you clicked the paperclip. This is in Yosemite.

[​IMG]

6. dekaph macrumors newbie

I'm on Yosemite now, but in the past I believe I've just highlighted the image and then dragged it onto the Apeture icon - the picture then automatically imported into Apeture.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I've got the "Import to Aperture..." item in Yosemite Mail as well. I know I had a similar one for iPhoto in previous Mail. Maybe it's a service you have to turn on in the Sys Prefs?

8. desertman, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

"Export to Aperture" must be a new service for Mail in Yosemite.

However, I have now created an application with Automator that imports all picture files of a selected email in Mail into one specified project ("Mail Attachments") in Aperture. See attached screen shot.

Not as elegant as a direct Mail service or script, but otherwise working very well. What I don't understand (and don't like so much) is that in some case the pictures show up in Aperture with "today's" date and not the original date when the picture was taken or sent to me.

Attached Files: