How to extend the Battery overall life

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by maddawg46, Nov 5, 2016.

1. maddawg46 macrumors newbie

When I got my first MacBook Pro I always left it on the charger. Most of the time on sleep mode. When I upgraded my OS some kid at the Apple Store said I should have let it go down once in a while rather than always leaving on the charger.
    So what's the best way to treat the laptop battery?

2. comics addict macrumors 6502a

He's not wrong there. Even Apple gives such advice on their battery info page. There is some technical explanation for it but it's beyond me to explain in a post. Maybe someone can chime in? Or just google it.

3. krazirob macrumors member

krazirob

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The kid at the store was wrong. There is no need to run the battery down intentionally. All that does is use charge/discharge cycles needlessly. Just use it on battery when you need to be portable, and otherwise leave it on the charger. You don't need to do anything else.

Check out these two links for Apple's official battery info.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1446

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Apple's old battery info pages did have some business on there abut exercising the battery, but they no longer recommend that if you check the pages I linked.

5. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I noticed that they indeed excised it from their explanation's page.

6. pika2000 macrumors 68030

To put it in simple terms, just use it as a laptop.

7. abrahamw88, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016

abrahamw88 macrumors member

abrahamw88

Don't leave fully charged or discharged for very long. If it will not be used for a while (more than a couple days) it's better to let it sit around 40-50% charge.
    These batteries are healthiest at room temperature.
    These batteries do not need to be fully discharged regularly.

These guidelines also apply to most smartphones, laptops, tablets and a lot of other gadgets with these lithium ion batteries.
    Not following the above guidelines will produce a noticeable decrease in battery life and health.

8. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

That's what I do. And after three and a half years (277 cycles), my battery run time is only slightly less than when my MBA was new. :) Mine is plugged into the power adaptor and used with a big screen most of the time. I almost never run the battery down below 30 to 40% even when travelling.

9. abrahamw88 macrumors member

abrahamw88

Same here! I have a mid 2013 MBA that still gets about 10 hours of life with the same type of usage. My battery capacity is a little over 90% after about 300 cycles. I make sure not to download and install anything that isn't absolutely necessary.

10. Left4DeadBoy macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

hi I figure that youd have to make their screen very low brightness currently . They dont allow you to reduce power any other way currently; oh and their power cord can be mentioned too .

11. akadafni macrumors regular

It doesn't hurt to turn your device off if you're going to be away from it for extended periods of time (4 hours or more). Also turning it off overnight is fine as well unless you sleep type. Turning off the device can also help with fan and memory issues.

12. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

What OS are you using?

13. abrahamw88, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016

abrahamw88 macrumors member

abrahamw88

The most recent, Sierra. I'm generally always up to date.