How to extend the Time Capsule Storage

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Techo, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Techo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a Mac Pro with 2.5TB of storage - 1 500GB and 2 1TB.
    I also have a Time Capsule which has a built in storage capacity of 1TB.
    I today bought an external HD with a capacity of 2TB to add to my time capsule. I have already read that the mac will only see them as 2 seperate Hard Drives but have also read that it is possible to backup 1 Hard drive to the main drive and the other 2 to the external...

Is this correct, and if so, how do I do it?

Many thanks,
    Techo

2. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Hmm. Not sure if this is possible with Time Capsule. By default it backs up all your MacPro drives to a single drive in (or attached to) the Time Capsule.

As you have several large drives, you probably need to look at a larger, more expensive setup. One option (out of many):

- buy another 2TB drive,
    - put both that one and your current 2Tb external (take it out of its box) in your Mac Pro,
    - Join them together in OSX to make a single RAID 0 / JBOD array, 4TB large.

Use this 4TB virtual drive as the Time Machine destination for your current 2TB and 500GB drives.

Advantages: Cheap, very fast (much faster than backing up to the Time Capsule.

Disadvantages - Fills up the remaining bays in your Mac Pro.

Another option is to buy an external 2 drive or 3 drive enclosure, and again, use that in RAID 0 / JBOD and attach to the Time Capsule or to your Mac Pro. Costs more though.

3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Wirelessly posted (This odd thing that I hold: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Any more thoughts on this?