How to extend Wifi, create a new Wifi with Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Alper1234, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Alper1234, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

Alper1234 macrumors newbie

Hey,

i have ****** wifi reception in my Apartment and bought the time capsule to extend the signal. But some how it doesn't work the way i expected.

Does anybody got a step by step instructional? All i have now, is the Time Capsule linked to my existing network, but i wanted to create a new one...

The reception is still as bad as always. Note, i have no physical access to the router, its one feeding several buildings here.

thanks in advance.

cheers, Alper

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

As far as I know, you would need an ethernet cable connection to the host router in order to create a new network.

Out of curiosity, is your connection to the TC bad as always or the throughput to the internet? The only way to improve the throughput from the host is locate the TC in the apartment where it receives the best signal from the host.

3. smellalot macrumors 6502

I'm assuming you can't change anything on the existing router, like configure it for wds. So here's what you need to do:
    Get a router that can be flashed with a firmware called DD-WRT. The most popular one AFAIK is the Linksys WRT54G. Just look at their website for a compatible router.
    Flash it with DD-WRT.
    Then you have to choose between client mode and using your time capsule (my recommendation)
    or return the time capsule and use repeater mode.

I won't go into more detail for now. You can find detailed instructions there: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers