iPad How to extend wifi range,do I need to buy a device?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sanlingyi, Apr 17, 2014.

1. sanlingyi macrumors newbie

How to extend wifi range,do I need to buy a device? I create my home wifi with My WIFI Router software, but signal is a little weak in my bedroom. The developer told me the power of the wifi signal created by the software - My WIFI Router is decided by the wifi hardware of my laotop. Is it true? Do you know how to boost or extend wifi range?

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Not really sure on that one. Our wifi seems to stay strong even at the end of the driveway and in any room we have. Can you verify that the signal is truly weak and that's it's not just your iPad? It's worth doing a network settings reset too and then hooking back up to see if that helps.

Make sure to reboot your modem once a week too. Never hurts.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Wifi extenders are available to buy although I'm not sure how good they are.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Where is your router located? If t is in the basement try to relocate it to the middle of the house, or get a repeater as others mentioned.

5. styymy macrumors member

You could get yourself a power line adapter kit. They are sold in pairs and plug into standard electrical outlets. Some of the newer ones are very small now. One connects to a free port on the router and then you place the other one anywhere in the house, out near the pool, deck, etc. and hook your device via ethernet cable to it. You can also add to the original pair as well.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

All WiFi outfits are not the same. Some are way more powerful than others.

Also location is very important! So wiFi units will accept an antenna that can be moved into attic! Just changing your WiFi location a little can make a big difference.