How to extract clips from a DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by liverpoolabc, Oct 3, 2007.

1. liverpoolabc macrumors newbie

I work for a university and the local news is recorded onto a recordable DVD, using a recordable dvd player on a daily basis.
    When the university appears the news the recording is kept for future reference, however the recording can be 30mins and the clip sometimes only lasts for 30secs.
    I would like to transfer the clips onto the mini-mac for reference and playback and also to save time going through the dvds to find a specific clip
    I downloaded handbrake but the software didnt seem to recognise the format used by the dvd recording.
    Can anyone suggest another alternative or suitable software.
    Any help would be appreciated

2. iJED DV macrumors member

iJED DV

I like MPEG Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/). Select the track on the DVD you want, then scrub through and set in and out points. You can then rip it to different formats.

3. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Did the Mac recognise the DVD? (edit: Did your DVD player software open up and play the recorded video?)

If it didn't you may need to "Finalize" the DVD before pulling it out of the recorder.

If that still doesn't work you may need a Firewire bridge from the DVD player/recorder to the Mac.

4. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

Try MPEG Streamclip. I use it to extract portions of my client projects for their reference off a Tivo burnt DVD. It's free too!

5. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I think I'll give it a try...I like the price.

6. eric461 macrumors newbie

I would like to extract clips from a DVD+RW. I would assume that I need to finalize the disc first before using MPEG Streamclip? Thanks for the assistance.

7. iMikeR macrumors newbie

Handbrake is a very nice option if you wanna make AVI divx trough ffmpeX or XviD.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I think there's a bug in Handbrake:

I burned some DVD's with my Tivo and it would recognize in Handbrake the DVD-R's okay but not the DVD-RW's. They both play fine in the DVD Player software though. Handbrake says "cannot find valid title".

Interestingly, the Mac sees the disk as a DVD-RW. Handbrake does this also on an external FW DVD-RW drive.

My workaround, interestingly, is to hook up an external USB CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive and Handbrake will work fine with either the -RW or -R... (?)

This is why I think there's a bug in Handbrake...