How to File a Complaint (Video Competition)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mark476p, Aug 2, 2007.

1. mark476p macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I ran into some problems with an online video competition sponsored by Ziddio (www.ziddio.com). For those unaware, Ziddio is a YouTube copycat, but differs in that they do competitions. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ziddio sponsored a video contest called Are You WWE's Biggest Fan? (Yes, I'm a huge wrestling fan). The rules and requirements, which I have a hardcopy, are pretty basic: no copyrighted material (merchandise that you own is considered fair use); one minute or less; under 100MB; uploaded as QuickTime (H.264 recommended), Mpeg, or AVI; no defaming of other companies; and no performance of wrestling moves. Entries could be submitted til July 31st midnight. From there, judging occurs until August 3rd. Top 10 rated videos are finalists along with 5 others chosen by a WWE panel. The 15 finalists win a trip for two to New York, along with hotel accommodations, tickets to a live event, and a red carpet event.

I submitted my video on July 31st, 12 hours before the deadline. It was a QuickTime video with H.264 codec at 65MB with 95 kHz stereo audio. I received an automated message saying that the Moderators Team has to review it before uploading. If there are any problems, they will contact me and allow me to resubmit the video. In the meantime, a web page was created for my video, just with no video embedded in it. Each webpage has an ID Number. I got suspicious when other videos with higher ID Numbers were uploaded just a few hours after mines. So I emailed them, but they didn't respond. Finally, after two days, and many emails, I get a response from them. They apologized for the long wait and that they SUPPOSEDLY found audio problems with my video. They go on to say that there are other contests that I may be interested in. WTF?!!

So I complained about the following:

- Why did it take them two days to respond?
    - Why aren't they allowing me to resubmit my video (I really doubt there's anything wrong with my video)
    - How are videos with copyrighted materials allowed to be uploaded?

That's just a quick summary of my complaints. I plan on doing a formal written complaint to Ziddio, Comcast (parent company), and the WWE (nothing against them, I just want to inform them of my complaint to Ziddio). Each will contain a letter, emails to and from Ziddio, and a DVD of the final video (with images and some raw footage to show the amount of effort that went into it... approximately 50 hours of effort).

Anyone got advice for me? Do I have a case? My college professor said that if they don't handle my complaint well, I should get a lawyer and file a lawsuit.

Anyone else I should contact? I visited the Better Business Bureau website, but it seems like a business-customer transaction needed to take place. I'm not sure. HELP!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Because they were busy running a site that just got flooded w/last minute video submissions?
    Because they don't want to?

Because they haven't been sued yet or they have deals in place to share revenue w/the copyright holders.

Let it go.

For the thousands of dollars (not to mention time) you spend on a lawyer what do you hope to get in return?

Your video got disqualified because of a technical problem. Oh well, that sucks. I'm not sure why you are turning this into such a spectacle.

Lethal

3. mark476p thread starter macrumors newbie

I would agree with you if I was disqualified, which I wasn't. Also, I've been doing freelance video for three years, so this idea of faulty audio is ********. They were not flooded with videos at the last minute. They always respond quickly to emails. But you're right in that I probably will get over it eventually. I'm irritated right now because it just happened. You know, it's like someone telling you to get over your dead grandma the same day she died. And if she didn't croak yet, then you'll know what I mean eventually.

4. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

Problems happen. Incomplete upload, issues with conversion (assuming they convert it such as YouTube or other sites do), etc. It's definitely a crappy situation, but I assure you life will go on :)

No...not at all. It's unfortunate, but it'll all blow over in a few days.

By the way, do you have a link to your video?

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Unless you were there when they watched the movie you have no idea if something like a random upload glitch damaged your file. I think that is a more plausible idea than someone singling your movie out and concocting an out right lie to prevent it from being entered along w/all the other videos.

While I understand the desire to vent, I do not think failing to get into an online video contest run by a 2nd rate site to see who is the biggest WWE fan is quite equivalent to having a loved one die. It's a step above having it rain after you just washed your car, but still below spilling red wine on your favorite white shirt. ;)

Lethal

6. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

7. mac's my homie macrumors newbie

agree about the lawyer issue. if you go that route, your 50 hours will turn into much much more. And if you still get no where, you will have that much more time investment waisted (not to mention money$$$).

maybe just right them a formal letter telling them you're getting a lawyer and then leave it at that.

if nothing else, maybe they'll sweat a little! :cool:

8. Poeben macrumors 6502

I'll give you the benefit of doubt and assume you meant 96k audio. I would imagine that could be the problem as, HD aside, 48k is still the standard audio sample rate for video production.

9. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

I have no advice to offer, but I am always surprised at how these posts seem to invite such a flurry of meanness. If you're not sympathetic to the OP's situation and have nothing to offer by way of advice, move on. The OP obviously feels badly about what happened and isn't likely to feel any better when all s/he gets are insults that serve little more purpose than padding the poster's post count. :rolleyes:

10. mark476p thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know a video and grandparent differ, but that's what I'll say when someone makes a post in a rude manner. Two wrongs don't make a right, but it makes me feel better. Thanks mac 2005 for your comment.

I totally agree that filing a lawsuit is not worth it. It was hard to think clearly that day. However, I'm still going to file a complaint.

Poeben, I was thinking about 96k being an issue as well. If it was that important though, it should have been listed in the rules and regulations. Only video requirements were listed. Also, this problem could have been easily solved (export using 48k), and I should have been able to resubmit my video as their automated email stated I could. However, when I wanted to, they didn't respond. I know they weren't busy because they have always been quick with replies, and there weren't many last-minute entries.

The hours spent on the project was only part of it. I really felt like I had a legit chance of making the finals, which already includes prizes.

11. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

96k Audio

I think that the 96khz audio is the problem. The person reviewing the video probably could not playback the audio because their computer is not capable with the standard built in soundcard.

Know your audience. There is no need for 96khz audio for unless the viewer has a really good speaker system.

12. Poeben macrumors 6502

More 96k-isms

Sorry that things didn't work out for you in the contest... In order to help you avoid future audio related problems I would recommend that you think about what your source material was for a moment. Where did the sound come from? Built-in camera mic? Pro voiceover? Music from CDs, or iTunes? There really isn't much benefit to using 96k audio, especially if it was audio converted from a lower sample rate, such as the case is with CDs and video.

Also, this is coming from someone who works in audio post-produciton dealing with network broadcasts. I have never been asked to deliver, nor have ever been provided with 96k or 192k audio. If I were, it would likely be converted to 48k on output. Also keep in mind that the standard delivery formats for network broadcast (digibeta and ugggh D2) are not capable of recording 96k audio. As far as I know this is also true with all the pro HD formats as well (HDCAM, XDCAM.)

Stick with the industry standards and you'll be fine.

13. Kawasaki macrumors member

I know a WWE fan, and they are REALLY DEVOTED, as much as NASCAR fans and maybe even more so (I am not a WWE/NASCAR fan). So, I understand why he feels like taking them on.