Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Hello, all. My business partner and I are looking for a developer for iPhone applications. We've got a phenomenal business model, and great ideas that have not yet been executed (and we've been excessively thorough in our research). We're looking for someone that's preferably:

-) In eastern Iowa, or not too far from it (within 300 miles of Cedar Rapids - the closer the better).
-) Ambitious, looking for opportunities to rise above the sea of developers
-) Has experience - perhaps not even a published app, but something that shows the ability to develop our applications given the proper guidance.
-) Has the equipment (iPhone 3G, computer with which to develop) would be a plus, as less overhead = better

I'm looking for ideas on how to find someone that fits this description. Where should I look? Anyone here fit that?

Thanks guys,

-Evan

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Bulletin board in the CS department of the nearest university or college, Iowa has a few top rated ones. Lots of CS students are Mac users these days.

Or go global.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Great ideas, guys!

How do you tap into the global market without having a bunch of lawyers to protect yourself on the legal side? What resources can I use to access the global market for developers? Thoughts?

-Evan

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I live in Cedar Rapids and develop on the iPhone. But I have a day job.

You might try Ames -- http://cocoasamurai.blogspot.com/
Also, within 300 miles, show up at a cocoaheads meeting in St. Louis -- http://cocoaheads.org/us/StLouisMissouri/index.html

Not familiar with Chicago.
Wow, that's perfect! I have a day job as well (at Aegon). I would love the opportunity to meet up this weekend (tonight or Saturday, actually, as I'll be in MN on Sunday) and bounce some ideas off of you. Shoot me an email (evan dot heckert at gmail dot com), and we'll talk. Thanks for the response!

-Evan

richard.puckett

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
"What resources can I use to access the global market for developers?"

I'll go ahead and say it: I'd avoid international, especially if you're small and/or don't have excellent project management in place. Even established companies are challenged by trying to coordinate the efforts of offshore teams. Software development can be tricky under the best of circumstances; once you add communication, language, cultural, and technical factors to the mix you better know how to handle it all. It's challenging to find remote resources, assess their strengths, communicate requirements, measure progress, etc. And if your intellectual property gets appropriated good luck with that.

And you generally get what you pay for - always keep that in mind. I think a big exception to this rule is college students. If they're dedicated and knowledge hungry (and perhaps part of a rev share) they can do great work.

bobmini

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2008
Evan,
Sorry if I mislead you but I'm not available. I just wanted to give you some local leads.
It's probably a good idea that I don't even hear your idea.
Try the guys in Ames. I don't know of much going on in Iowa City.
And don't forget to include a great graphic artist as part of your team.
:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.