How to find Airport MAC address?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by drambuie, Nov 15, 2010.

1. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I have a new 15" MBP running 10.6.4. Until I get an Airport Extreme router I'm setting up the airport with a Linksys router that uses MAC address filtering, and I can't locate the airport's MAC address. I've found lots of info on the Airport, but not the MAC address, although I have found the wired ethernet's MAC address. I got the wifi working by disabling the router's MAC filtering, but for security reasons want to run with it enabled.

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Open a terminal window, and type:

ifconfig en0

MAC address is under "ether"

Last login: Mon Nov 15 22:40:00 on ttys000
    Macintosh-2:~ feh$ ifconfig en0
    en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:25:4b:c5:5d:46
    media: autoselect
    Macintosh-2:~ feh$

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have never done it the way the above poster said, but I have an app on my MacBook Pro called iStumbler and it shows it. Very easy to do also.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Just open up Network Utility and it will tell you next to "Hardware Address" :)

5. drambuie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all. Got it working. I just got the MBP yesterday, and was trying to find the airport MAC in the network settings. Never thought about Utilities. It's strange that the ethernet MAC address is shown in settings, but not the airport MAC.

Another question - is there a reference available that lists the Terminal commands and their functions?

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I never realized how useful that Network Utility is. Thanks a lot.

7. Alrescha macrumors 68020

The airport MAC address shows up in System Preferences, Network, Advanced, on both the Airport and Ethernet tabs.

A.