how to find close minimize and zoom buttons

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by rogerbottrell, Jul 13, 2014.

1. rogerbottrell, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014

rogerbottrell macrumors member

i can never get them to show up unless i finagle around and shrink the window.--new winders convert obviously
    thank you very much and strangely enough i can't readily find any info on this.

THANK YOU FOLKS--it is all operator problem i am certain-and the zoom feature---no numbers in the sys pref-best display already checked it is true i am zooming myself out of buttons? the blue box in the right hand corner works perfect which will get me going long enough to figure it out later--somehow i seemed to think i needed the entire screen filled up .so on me!
    odd the drag the top to the right does not work-again me, not the gear- my only recourse is the trip stumble and fall method- youtube and what i can chase down on apple.--but coming along just not as fast as i would like.---thank you for taking the time and effort to help me and type that stuff out.--i am bumping along-

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Are those window control widgets off-screen, or underneath the top menu bar, or is the window simply so large that it streams off the top or bottom of the screen?
    Are you using a different video resolution (to make your icons and text a little larger, for example?)
    If you are try changing your resolution back to normal.

You can also grab the top edge of the window (where the window name is), and drag it to a more usable position.

I'm not sure what you mean by "new winders convert obviously?"
    Maybe I'm missing what you are trying to say.
    Do you mean that a new window converts/changes to put the control widgets off screen, without you changing anything?

3. rogerbottrell thread starter macrumors member

thank you

Are those window control widgets off-screen, or underneath the top menu bar, or is the window simply so large that it streams off the top or bottom of the screen?I THINK IT IS OFF THE SCREEN TOP LEFT IF I HIT ESCAPE IT SHIRNKS DOWN AND THERE THEY ARE.....NOT SURE HOW I DID THAT ....ZOOM SOMEHOW I AM SURE
    Are you using a different video resolution (to make your icons and text a little larger, for example?) YEAH PROBABLY BUT NOT SURE HOW I DID THAT
    If you are try changing your resolution back to normal. NOT SURE HOW TO DO THAT

You can also grab the top edge of the window (where the window name is), and drag it to a more usable position. TRIED THAT DIDNT HAVE ANY LUCK

I'm not sure what you mean by "new winders convert obviously?"NEW WIDOWS ...CONVERT TO IMAC OBVIOUSLY
    Maybe I'm missing what you are trying to say.
    Do you mean that a new window converts/changes to put the control widgets off screen, without you changing anything? THANK YOU VERY MUCH I AM ONLY SEVEN DAYS INTO IT...........AND NOT AS SMART AS I SHOULD BE.....IT WILL IRON OUT I WILL TOY AROUND WITH YOUR SUGGESTIONS......

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Here's how you can change the screen resolution:
    Open System Preferences, then the Displays pref pane.
    There's a list of various sets of numbers in that window.
    Change to the set of largest numbers.
    I think you have a 27-inch iMac, so largest should be 2560 x 1440
    That setting should make your windows easier to manage.

I have a recommendation for you -
    You seem to have a lot of questions, and apparently no one that you can talk to. Take some of your pressing questions to an Apple store, there is always a large number of folks that will give you some quick pointers to help. Take your audio recorder with you, if you have a tough time recalling some of the tips that you may get. Sometimes the "helpers" at Apple stores can throw a lot of information at you (and some may seem unhelpful, but better some small info, than floundering about with no direction.)
    If you appreciate reading, there's always the various books that can help new users get further into the system. Here's one such book:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=-7...ack+book+os+x+mavericks&source=gbs_navlinks_s

5. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Hi Robert,

The close/minimize/expand buttons are located at the top left-hand corner of every window. There are a few reasons why the buttons are not working or missing. I have some listed below. This list may not be comprehensive. If you want help for your issue specifically, take a screenshot of the problem, upload it here, and we can help you out. The short-cut for a screen shot is (Shift + Command + 3). The best way is to hold Shift and command down, then press 3 when you are ready to take the shot. Here are some guesses as to what your problem is.

First, you may be in full screen mode. If your window takes up the entire desktop so that you cannot see the background, your dock is hidden, and you cannot drag the window around the screen, you are in full screen mode. If this is the case, move your cursor to the top of the screen. A bar should slide down. In the right-hand corner you should see a blue box with two arrows pointed at each other. Click on the box and your window should return to normal size. The close/minimize/expand buttons will be attached to the left hand corner of the window.

Second, the window you are trying to interact with could be partially off of the screen. If some of the window is hidden, grab the top of the window and pull it to the right so that the upper left-hand corner is exposed. As mentioned, your resolution may have been changed. To fix this, click on the :apple: icon in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. Select System Preferences --> Displays. Under Displays, for Resolution select "Best for Display".

I hope that helps. If it doesn't solve your problem, please upload a picture so that we can better address your issue :).

Matt

6. FreemanW macrumors 6502