How to find device of PC on network?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trose, Dec 7, 2009.

1. trose macrumors regular

Hey all,
    I've got a rather strange thing happening...

Disable ALL network interfaces, including Bluetooth, have only my Ethernet enabled, going directly to DSL modem (not router).

Yet, I am picking up a computer in my network browser. I can browse this computer's shared docs just fine, and in fact, he is not setup very securely so I could easily delete his entire music and photo library or send malicious files to him (or her).

But, I am wondering how I am even seeing this device. From what I know, on a DSL connection, you should never see any other computers on that ISP. I know sometimes this will happen with Cable, but I've never seen it on DSL.

How do I find the IP or MAC address of this computer? I actually work at my internet provider, and I'd like to see if I can find which customer it is and why I am picking them up on my network browser, and hopefully alleviate the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. trose thread starter macrumors regular

err, error in title. I meant to say, "How to find IP of PC on network?"

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Try ping -a computername

cheers,

4. trose thread starter macrumors regular

I did ping -a veilborne (computer's name) and I get a "Cannot Resolve".

Hmmm

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its their lack of security which is why you are seeing their PC. nothing much you can do about it unless you contact them or your ISP. just ignore them and if youre a good person treat their files how youd like yours to be treated. if my whole music collection disappeared without my interaction i would go crazy and probably abandon computers forever :p.

do you have a router? just put that in front of your modem and you may stop seeing it.

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Code:
    ping veilborne.local
    Don't forget the .local extension if you want the local DNS server (probably your router) to resolve the IP for you.

7. trose thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, pinging veilborne.local also did not work...
    BUT

I got what I needed

I did a "net lookup veilborne" and it gave me his IP, which is indeed in the same block as my ISP. From there I was able to find his MAC.

I actually work at my ISP, though not in the networking department. But I should be able to find what I need with this info :)

Thanks all for the tips!

8. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    Bonjour Browser can give you a lot information about devices/services discovered on the LAN.

[​IMG]

It's strange thought that you are on a LAN with other computers of your ISP.

Tex