how to find masters in a referenced iPhoto library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ToddJ, May 25, 2012.

1. ToddJ macrumors 6502

Is there a smart list I can make in iPhoto to find the original master photos (I'm using a referenced iPhoto library.) I just want to export the masters then delete them from iPhoto.

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Not sure I understand....

If you have a referenced library, then the masters are already outside of the iPhoto 'package'.... they are where ever you put them. Or do you want the edited versions of the photos? In which case I think you have to "export" them because the changes aren't written to the image file itself until you export the image. Can you expand a bit on what you want to do?

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

There's no criteria that I'm aware of in iPhoto to do what I think you want to do (which is to delete the "photo" (really a reference to it) from iPhoto and have it moved to the trash from its original location as well. What iPhoto does in that circumstance is more like unimporting. You can use the command to reveal it in the Finder, but there isn't an automatic way to do do this in batches.

iPhoto is non-destructive to a fault in this instance.

If this is the sort of thing you wish to do, Aperture or Lightroom would be a better choice. Perhaps you could download a test copy of LR 4 and see if it accomplishes what you wish; I think you can import the references from iPhoto (not sure though).

Unfortunately iPhoto doesn't offer much control when importing either; otherwise you could attach a tag or other criteria so you could use an external search to find the originals to delete them.

It does seem like the iPhoto database would keep the path names of the originals; maybe there's a way to tease that out somehow. Would be useful.

4. ToddJ thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for the confusion...i forgot one very important part of this.....I used iPhoto to automatically import my photo stream photos into iPhoto and now i want to export these out (since these should be the only 'masters' in my referenced library. I know i could get at them in Finder, but i know once you start doing that, it can be easy to corrupt the iPhoto database. thanks!