How to find my backups on Airport Time capsule

Muizen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Mechelen, Belgium
How can I see the backups Time Machine saves on my Airport Time Capsule?

I just like to see these backups, like I can see the backups I make myself on another hard drive.

Thanks for advise!
Harry

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
How can I see the backups Time Machine saves on my Airport Time Capsule?

I just like to see these backups, like I can see the backups I make myself on another hard drive.

Thanks for advise!
Harry
To the user, it doesn't really show you a list of folders with each backup date.
What it does, if you open a folder that contained a file you're looking for, you then go to the Time Machine icon on the menu bar, and "Enter Time Machine" (wording may not be exact..).
It'll then launch into the time machine interface, and have a list of dates down the right hand side for each backup it has of that particular folder. You can navigate around as you would a normal finder window.

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
!!!

Isn't this clear from my question?
When I backup to an external HD I can see all files that have been backuped. This can be useful when I am trying to locate a file that I need for whatever reason.
In Time Machine I would like to be able to see such files like I can on my other HD's
Harry
No, that's why I asked.

You cannot view files on your Time Machine drive like you can your other HDs. It's not a viewable, user-accessible backup if viewing individual files is your goal.

If you'd like to access a file you've backed up in the past, go to "Enter Time Machine", navigate to where the file was, then go back in time using the dates on the right.

Muizen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Mechelen, Belgium
Using Time Machine - not very user friendly?

No, that's why I asked.

You cannot view files on your Time Machine drive like you can your other HDs. It's not a viewable, user-accessible backup if viewing individual files is your goal.

If you'd like to access a file you've backed up in the past, go to "Enter Time Machine", navigate to where the file was, then go back in time using the dates on the right.
Thank you!
- Do I open e.g. Finder and go to the folder in which I think the file was and then try to remember on what date I placed the file there?
Not very easy!
- And what to do when I don't know in what folder my file was?
So far I never managed to find an e-mail back. Remembering the date of an email is not easy either!
- How to find such emails if you don't know the date?

I feel that my HD backups are a lot easier to use in case of lost information.

Perhaps I should learn more about using Time Machine, but the instructions by Apple are very limited.

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Nope

No, to to Time Machine in the menu bar, and then Enter Time Machine. From there, navigate to where you think you last had the file.

Yes, you should learn more about Time Machine, there are plenty of articles that complement Apple's paltry directions.