How to find my documents folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by emmiedream, Mar 11, 2010.

1. emmiedream macrumors newbie

I have an iBook G4 that is running OS 10.4.11.

Today, I was attempting to copy my documents folder onto my external hard-drive. I had Finder open and tried to move the icon representing documents (on the lower left sidebar) to the icon representing my hard-drive (upper left sidebar). The documents folder disappeared off of the left sidebar, but was not moved onto the drive.

I know the folder has not been deleted, as I am still able to open documents from it in word. However, I can't find the folder, and I'd like to return it to the sidebar. I have tried going Finder>Preferences>Sidebar, but there is no option to add the documents folder. How can I get it back?

Also, if you know, how can I copy the folder onto my external drive?

Thanks!

2. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

You should be able to to browse to it via the home icon for your user account in the finder, then pop it back to the places part of the finder.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Use Spotlight to find it.

Right click, copy, and then go to the external drive, paste.

4. emmiedream thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, good! But...

That's not how to accomplish a copy. Those icons in the sidebar are "shortcuts" or "aliases" - mere representations of the real deal. To copy your Documents Folder, you need to click on the Home folder once in the Sidebar, opening the window that contains the Documents folder as one of the items. Click on that folder and drag it to your external drive icon on your Desktop, not in the Sidebar.

One other thing to note: If you drag one of those Sidebar items off to the right or left of the shaded Sidebar area, it will turn into an icon of a puff of smoke. If you let go of the mouse button, that icon poofs (disappears) and the original item in the Sidebar is gone. To put it back, navigate as above to the folder which contains the "poofed" item, and drag it back to the Sidebar. (Same thing happens with your Dock icons, and same solution.)

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Which is sad, considering OS X has a Unix base and that's not how symlinks work in the terminal.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Oops! Seriously? That worked? (I need to pay more attention to all the posts before answering!) I didn't think this could be done.

8. emmiedream thread starter macrumors newbie

It didn't quite work like that, but I was able to put the steps together.
    I found the folder using spotlight and was able to return it to the finder sidebar. From there, I was able to right click and copy the folder and then paste it onto the drive.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

*meaning from the Finder window, not from the sidebar.

I never paid attention to the Copy option in the contextual menu. I guess it's just 'Cut' that doesn't work.