Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yv.haranath

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
I saw some iphones on criaglists...is their any way to find out, the seller is selling his or her personal or friends phone but not the stolen phones ?? like by checking their IEMI number, some thing like that ?

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
You'd have to get the IMEI and call it in to AT&T and they can tell you whether it is clean or not. Or, you could just put your sim card in it and try to make a call. My understanding of a lost/stolen IMEI is that it won't make calls in or out.

Cheetos3254

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
Hi

I actually just got off the phone with AT&T asking the same question.

I asked if there was a way they could find out if an iPhone was stolen or not and they said no. BUT if you give them your IMEI number they can check any accounts the iPhone was previously registered too and check if those accounts have reports of a stolen iPhone.

To check the IMEI number:
Settings>General>About>IMEI:XXXXXXXXXXX

Hope I helped you.

joebobthehob

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Technically they can't even tell you if it was reported stolen, only if it has been used on another account or not. Telling you that it was reported stolen would be giving you info from an account that you don't have access to, which is a big no-no (not to say that many reps probably won't do it anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.