How to find out which device is flooding local home network in a Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shankar2, Jul 23, 2016.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502

Hi, at home there are 2 android phones and rest are macs (phones and computers).

I tested my broadband connection on speedtest.net and sometimes it shows good numbers 16mbps d/l and sometimes 4-5 mbps.

I suspect some device is flooding my internet wifi network and I want to find out which IP address it has.

Is there some LAN sniffer program for my el capitan mac that can show packets flooding the home network and find out its IP address?

This is a mess and I need to fix it. I have little snitch working on my own mac and it not showing any abnormal activity.

Thanks!

2. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: i think it's my own mac so I shall use little snitch to test

However if it's not my own mac is there any sniffer program for mac to examine the Home network?

3. Superspeed500 macrumors regular

Superspeed500

It might just be your DSL cable modem or router that have problems. Maybe tell us what router and provider you use? You might also want to check out wireshark. There are also some built-in UNIX commands in Mac that can help you check what services and ports that are in use on your Mac, but I don't remember any of them :0

4. MC6800 macrumors 6502

The built-in Unix command to snoop the local net is tcpdump. Run Terminal and type:

sudo tcpdump

and enter your password. Stop it by typing a Control-C. Stretch the window wide for a clean view. There are a number of options which are described by the command "man tcpdump" followed by a spacebar per page.

5. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I enabled little snitch and found that just running my firefox browser opens 400 connections

That's what little snitch network monitor is saying!

So it's a mess how do i stop this firefox issue? Uninstalling firefox will do? Some anti virus or malware?

Kindly assist

6. Superspeed500 macrumors regular

Superspeed500

How many addons do you have installed and what type of connections is there?

7. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I reset my firefox settings to default and that means it deleted all the addons/extensions and now there is some sanity... the number of firefox connections have dropped down to about 70 from 430!

Obviously there is some problem with my mac.... some kind of bot or something that's flooding my network. Any other suggestions? thanks

8. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

9. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

10. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

So after resetting firefox to default setting the connection requests are back so should I delete firefox completely and try?

11. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Check for Firefox plug-ins as well as extensions.

12. Tech198, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016

Tech198 macrumors G4