How to find tech specs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by qtx43, Aug 4, 2007.

1. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

I'm probably going to get a Mac after the new models come out. But I'd like to price compare and know what I'm actually buying. I've looked high and low through the online Apple store, but the info available is lacking. For example, they list generic terms for the processor and HD, "Core Duo" and "80 GB HD" but model numbers, or even whether they're mobile or desktop versions is a mystery.

Is the official info up there somewhere I'm missing? Yes, the macrumors buyer's guide mentions in an offhand way that the current mini and iMac use laptop parts. Which is appreciated, but it is 2nd hand info. Which is not acceptable.

Will I be forced to actually [gasp!] talk to a salesman to find this stuff out? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Apple has some pretty good tech specs here (same idea for other Macs).

3. neven macrumors 6502a

Don't expect them to know the exact model number for parts either. If you have an Apple Store nearby, grab the Mac you're interested, hit Apple menu > About This Mac > More Info... and get all you need.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You need to look here: http://www.apple.com/mac/, rather than the store, then go to the computer you are interested in and then it's tech specs page. Things like hard drive models can be found by searching these forums or google, Apple may use different models for a single size on a machine. If you have specific questions you can't find the answers too just post them on here and someone will likely be able to offer insight.

5. qtx43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all, but I think neven is the only one with a useful reply. Special thanks to neven!

The official Apple specs the rest of you refer to are unconscionably vague. For example, given that the current 17" iMac has a 1.83 Core 2 Duo, and and 2MB cache, I might infer that it has a T5600 processor. See the table:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/chart/core2duo.htm

But to go to such lengths to (unreliably) figure out what should be readily available info is ridiculous. I love OSX and using mobile processors and 2.5" drives has its advantages, but I don't plunk down a thousand or two dollars blindly.

6. 66217 Guest

Apple gives you what you normally need to know.
    Most people would freak out if they start reading things like "T5600 processor" or alike.:p

7. neven macrumors 6502a

As mentioned, Apple sometimes switches the parts even within the same series. Their official specs you're purchasing on are not very detailed since they're targeting the average, mildly computer-savvy buyer; that's just how it is. A more picky consumer than you might require that Apple specify which QC okayed the parts on each Mac, but that doesn't mean that Apple feels any market pressure to do it :)

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Maybe it's because I've always been aware the iMacs were using mobile parts, but I don't find it ridiculous at all. It's only the chipset and processor that are "mobile" versions, and a 1.83GHz C2D is simply that, there is no difference between mobile and desktop processors. Surely you only need the model number to know it's speed and cache anyway? Which Apple provide.

9. qtx43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Some people say the the HD is a laptop version also. Since you (and others) put out contradictory information, it is best to get it straight from Apple. And a laptop HD is very different from a desktop drive.
    No, they do not. At least not anywhere I (or anyone on this thread so far) can point out. I inferred what it probably is for one model, but you probably can't do that for all models.

I doubt very many are so picky as to need to compare who QC'ed the machine, but whether the hard drive is 2.5" or 3.5" is pretty basic. I can't believe you guys buy computers without knowing that ahead of time. And if you don't think what processor it has in it is nice to know for comparison purposes, I just don't know what to say.

Oh well, I'll just have to do what neven said. Either that, or go back to linux for my new computer. But I've gotten to like not having to fiddle with my computer endlessly to make it work.

Edit: I think I misread the 2nd part I quoted. Yes, speed and cache are good to know, but still mobile processors are a different line that desktop processors. Different power consumption, different performance. So basically, I'm still flabbergasted that nobody seems to care.

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

Apple only provides a limited amount of technical specs.

Generally the service manuals and similar documents list all of these things..sometimes only part numbers or something, but you can easily guess what you need. Also, not all of the Macs have user-serviceable hard drives or parts other than memory generally...it's essentially caveat emptor at that point. If you're gonna replace the drive, you sure as hell should know (or at least, easily figure out) which drive you need.

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

For Macs we do not care about specs. We just buy models based on size, or "the good model", "the better model", "the best model".

All comparisons are only possible between the models offered by Apple, because only Apple provides a basis for comparison.

12. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Ok then, I have a bit of spare time, so...

Mac mini
    Core Duo T2300/ T2400 (Older Yonah mobile processor)
    2.5" HD (5,400rpm or 7,200rpm - I think it's 5,400rpm but I'm unsure) - Mobile Hard Drive, basically smaller but higher GB/cost ratio and normally slower than desktop counterparts)

iMac
    Core 2 Duo T5600/ T7200/ T7400 (Newer Merom mobile processor (but not newest, next Tuesday *wink wink*))
    3.5" HD (7,200rpm desktop HD)

I assume this is all you want to know, but that should be the right info *fingers crossed* :p And yes, neither the iMac or Mac mini currently use desktop processors.

Exactly, Apple gives you the info you need so for 99.9% of people the above info is totally unnecessary.

13. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Ok, fair enough I'm aware I'm up to date on technology and others might not be, but the size of the hard drives offered indicates they are desktop variants. Apple using a host of manufacturers means they aren't going to list model numbers as they can't guarantee anything, no big vendors do.

Most people don't care because they aren't judging a mac purchase on hardware they can get else where, people are either buying for OSX or because of the current trend to go mac.

"Different power consumption, different performance." No, the merom processors perform almost identical to the conroe, they are the same thing, just with both cache enabled and obviously a better quality of processor as they will perform the same while requiring less power.

I'm not arguing that Apple are right or wrong for not displaying the model number or more details on components, but I guess I just feel that if you need to know those things and you can understand the differences you'd know where to easily find the information or be able to deduce the differences.

14. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Umm... Not 100% true *ducks for cover* :p;)

15. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

What's incorrect? I should have noted that only a few conroes with matching speeds to merom processors have half the cache disabled, but surely they are a better quality (as far as Intel are concerned) to run at similar speeds requireing less power?

16. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Wow this is annoying. I can't seem to find any benchmarks, when I know I recently looked at some :p

But I can tell you right now, that the desktop based Conroe Core 2 Duo E6850 (non-XE) can be found clocked at 3 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, something you won't find on a mobile Core 2 Duo at the moment. And I'm not even including the Core 2 Quad which offers more possibilities with 4 cores. So saying they perform almost identically is a bit misleading when you can get a much higher-spec desktop processor than anything available with mobile processors.

To a certain extent, I see where you are coming from. But remember the cache is not the full story. Most of the Conroe processors with "half" the cache, also have a better FSB than mobile processors. Also they are a lot cheaper than mobile processors but more power-hungry. If I could find benchmarks I would obviously share them, but I haven't seen any decent ones. :eek:

Maybe better quality isn't the right word, but more efficient is the word we're both looking for :)

17. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Ok I see what you are refering to, yes Conroe processors are better in many regards. I was trying to convey that at the same clock speeds merom and conroe processors perform very, very, similar as they are infact really the same thing, the different FSB and cache sizes not offering huge real world differences. So I can see why Apple would not even make an effort to differentiate between using mobile or desktop processors.

One such sample at the same clockspeed: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1449272&postcount=33

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

Apple doesn't need to necessarily list hard drive manufacturers and model numbers...I'd be happy with hard drive size specs alone, because hard drive sizes are standard for the most part.

Then again, most of the parts mentioned are not user-serviceable.