Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koeg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2008
Hi i cant seem to find the mac partion of my hard drive when logged on to windows is there anyway i can?

PLEASE HELP

Koeg

vistafanboi

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
Why use an NTFS formated drive for data files when using BootCamp?

you can purchase MacDrive to see, read and write to HFS+ formatted disks.

MacDrive is a great application for Windows, but useless for anything but transferring a few common file-types between the two OSes.

Why?
Very simple: it is only useful for seeing and transferring files BOTH OSes can use: i.e., "graphics, text, and some audio/video files types."

NEITHER OS can use the other's executable files. This is a VERY IMPORTANT distinction.

It seems to me that the BEST way to share such files between OSes would be by using a FAT32 partition on an external drive, since both OSes can format, see, and write to FAT32 partitions without third-party utilities such as MacDrive.

It is also the CHEAPEST way to do it reliably, considering that MacDrive is somewhere around $49US at present.

(You Mac folks might not be concerned by prices, but we Windows users ARE, since sometimes, our OS is more expensive than our machines.)
(yeah, yeah, I know: this is kinda stupid, in your opinions. Just so you will know, we tend to agree, and we do it in writing quite often.)

Adding an additional program which [basically] only adds the ability to see HFS+ partitions from within Windows is a waste of money, considering that just formatting a common data partition as FAT32 removes any such limitations, and at no further cost to the user, other than free disk space.

Donald L McDaniel

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
FAT32 is too old and only small filesize so i like NTFS.......

lots of ppl use macdrive but i read that it has bugs and damages some data.....do u think it is safe 2 use??my windows hd isnt important much but i dont want to damage my osx side

vistafanboi

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
FAT32 is too old and only small filesize so i like NTFS.......

lots of ppl use macdrive but i read that it has bugs and damages some data.....do u think it is safe 2 use??my windows hd isnt important much but i dont want to damage my osx side

I personally never experienced any data loss (on either side) after using it. But I kept both OS partitions clean as a whistle, and kept my data and downloaded program installers on external drives.

I suspect that those who have experienced such data loss weren't very good "house-keepers", or the wiring in the rooms where they kept their computers was old and unreliable.

Always remember, however, that the use of ANY low-level hard drive utility is subject to possible data loss, no matter how good a "house-keeper" one is. All it takes is a momentary loss of power, a bump, or a failing write-head during a write operation to wipe a drive out. Chaos happens. This is why experts always suggest that regular backups be made before using such apps.

Donald L McDaniel:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.