How to Find the Memory Bus Speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheZTwin, Aug 5, 2011.

1. TheZTwin macrumors newbie

I have a 17 inch 2007 MBP, 2.4GHz and I need to know how to find the Memory Bus Speed. I want to know how much RAM speed i should get, because i dont want to pay for to much.

2. wegster macrumors 6502

Apple symbol in upper left, About this Mac, more info, hardware/memory section.
    It seems that technically that (along with the first screen for 'about this mac') will only show installed RAM speed, so you can sanity check by entering your serial number in here, just in case you have the wrong/slower RAM in your system: http://support.apple.com/specs

3. TheZTwin thread starter macrumors newbie

that's how much is on it right now, but is that the max that you can have too?

4. wegster macrumors 6502

No, but the edited link I added back in to check your specs via SN should tell you that, or looking up based on that info (being sure what year/model/M* model it is) on everymac's database, which includes official and unoffically supported max RAM.

5. TheZTwin thread starter macrumors newbie

It says 800Mhz frontside bus. Is that the fastest that the RAM can operate at?

6. wegster macrumors 6502

You may be reading CPU, not ram. Go to the apple site and enter your SN, look for RAM/memory. Better yet, is this for your 3,1 in your sig?

7. wegster macrumors 6502

You may be reading CPU, not ram. Go to the apple site and enter your SN, look for RAM/memory. Better yet, is this for your 3,1 in your sig?
    enter your Sn into apple link, find the model identifier, e.g. MC721LL/A then plug that into everymac.

I'm guessing this is yours, which supports 4GB RAM PC2-5300 DDR/667Mhz max per Apple, 6GB RAM unofficially:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...k-pro-core-2-duo-2.4-17-santa-rosa-specs.html

8. TheZTwin thread starter macrumors newbie

yea, its for my 3,1. So, if i got RAM with more than 667 MHz, it would still only run at 667 MHz?

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Exactly.

That and the fact that even if it ran faster, you'd never notice it.