Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fessen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
I want to remove
com.silex.driver.sxuptp
from my computer, but I don't know which program is loading it, or how to find out.

I installed Silex Technologies software to try to get a printer network running in the past, but it never worked satisfactorily, and I dumped the application (this is 1 - 2 years ago). I think the com.silex.driver.sxuptp might be related to that, but not sure.

At any rate, searching with Spotlight for com.silex.driver.sxuptp, or even for just silex, yields nothing.

Any ideas?

OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
It should be in /Library/Extensions. It might be in /System/Library/Extensions.

Spotlight doesn't usually return system files unless you specifically ask for them.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
At any rate, searching with Spotlight for com.silex.driver.sxuptp, or even for just silex, yields nothing.

Open Finder and type in your search term silex then click the plus just below that and add include system files in the drop downs like in my screen shot. That should find the file for you. By default Finder does not search for system files like this.

My screenshot is from Mountain Lion, so yours may look a bit different.

LIQ9R6V.png

fessen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
It should be in /Library/Extensions. It might be in /System/Library/Extensions.

Spotlight doesn't usually return system files unless you specifically ask for them.
Thanks but those were the first places I had checked.

Open Finder and type in your search term silex then click the plus just below that and add include system files in the drop downs like in my screen shot. That should find the file for you. By default Finder does not search for system files like this.

My screenshot is from Mountain Lion, so yours may look a bit different.

LIQ9R6V.png

That's it! I never knew how to search for system files.

I found some folders/files in /Library/Preferences and in MacIntosh HD/Library/Receipts
We shall see whether those were responsible. (Or whether I just incapacitated the OS by removing them.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.