How to find what program is loading this kext?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fessen, Sep 15, 2013.

1. fessen macrumors member

I want to remove
    com.silex.driver.sxuptp
    from my computer, but I don't know which program is loading it, or how to find out.

I installed Silex Technologies software to try to get a printer network running in the past, but it never worked satisfactorily, and I dumped the application (this is 1 - 2 years ago). I think the com.silex.driver.sxuptp might be related to that, but not sure.

At any rate, searching with Spotlight for com.silex.driver.sxuptp, or even for just silex, yields nothing.

Any ideas?

OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

It should be in /Library/Extensions. It might be in /System/Library/Extensions.

Spotlight doesn't usually return system files unless you specifically ask for them.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open Finder and type in your search term silex then click the plus just below that and add include system files in the drop downs like in my screen shot. That should find the file for you. By default Finder does not search for system files like this.

My screenshot is from Mountain Lion, so yours may look a bit different.

[​IMG]

4. fessen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but those were the first places I had checked.

That's it! I never knew how to search for system files.

I found some folders/files in /Library/Preferences and in MacIntosh HD/Library/Receipts
    We shall see whether those were responsible. (Or whether I just incapacitated the OS by removing them.)

5. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

I think you can use the Terminal tool kextstat to get the location of a loaded kext.