How to fix all privileges once and for all?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Phrasikleia, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I've been plagued by privileges demons ever since starting over in a new user account. I'm the only user of this MacBook Pro (2008 Penryn, running 10.5.8), and I want all-access privileges all the time. How do I go about making that be the case?

Thanks.

2. dcubed20 macrumors member

You don't, the end. User permissions are set up the way they are for a reason.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

You start signing in as root, but that's a very very bad idea. I'm an experienced Unix/Linux administrator and I don't even do that.

4. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Hmm. So I guess I need to fix my problems some other way. Thanks for the replies.

5. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

depends on what your problem is doesn't it?

If you want/need the higher level of access, then login as root all the time, but it isn't recommended by anyone.

if you post your problem, we can try to help you here.

6. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Well, I started a new user account and am having problems installing certain software in it. My Canon software (DPP and EOS Utility) for my cameras and my Palm Desktop software for syncing my old Tungsten T will not install properly. The Canon software returns "error = 6", and the Palm install just fails. These things worked fine in my previous user account.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You can check the Console logs right after the failure to see if there are any more detailed messages there.

8. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Does this tell you anything?

(click to enlarge)

[​IMG]

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Not on its own, but that's what Google is for. I used the error as a search piece and turned up others with the problem. Here's one from a guy, but the problem remedied itself, potentially from an Apple update. Here's a discussion on another forum, though no solution. And yet another one. Seems like the Canon software was not well tested before release. Have you tried the Canon site to see if there are any updates?

10. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Thanks, I'll have a look at what you found there. Yes, I tried the Canon site. It was actually the recent update that got me into this mess. I tried to update, and it failed. The only support on Canon's site seems to involve Snow Leopard, which I don't have. I can't even find a place where I could send them a question.

11. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Did you make this new user an admin?

12. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yes, the new user is an admin.

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Just making sure, I didn't see that mentioned anywhere here.

Can you be more specific about the problems you are having? Does the installation fail? Does it tell you that you don't have privileges?

14. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Some progress...

Kudos to angelwatt for suggesting I see what the Console might tell me. I noticed it kept bringing up a few different files starting with com.apple.launch, so I pulled those out of my preferences folder. That fixed the problem I was having with installing from the Canon CD. However, as soon as I tried to update that installation with the new version that Canon just released, I got that "error = 6 code" again. Ack!

15. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Ugh. Now no matter how many times I try, I cannot get the darned thing installed again!! If I could, I would just leave it with the version that came on the CD. That would be fine. I'd like to have the new features, but I could go without running the updater. I guess dumping the com.apple.launcher files wasn't the solution after all. I have no idea what I did that got it to install. :(

16. duky macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if this is the same issue you're having but I was having owner issues especially with VMWare Fusion when I set up a new user account and deleted my old one. Transmit (the FTP program) actually has a nifty feature that allows you to set the owner of the drive (and all subfolders) or a specific folder to be your new user account. This may help you, let me know if you need me to walk you through it. I can't recall if I did this to the entire drive or just the folders that were bothering me. I feel like it would be better to do it only with the problematic folders (and their subfolders)

17. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Hmm. I do own an old copy of Transmit. I haven't updated it in years, but maybe my copy has that feature. I guess it's worth trying.

Another thing I tried last night was starting yet another fresh user account, and I couldn't install in that one either. Would that suggest that the problem does not involve anything in my user library?

18. duky macrumors 6502

I'm not sure, it does sound like you could do with a fresh install but I assume there's something preventing you from doing that otherwise you would have already tried that?

19. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Whatever you do, absolutely DO NOT apply permission changes (of any type) to your entire drive, or to any system-related folders or subfolders. You will cause your system to be unbootable, and will have to reinstall. Only apply permissions to a folder below the root level.

That said, permissions could definitely be at fault with issue like that, just be careful where you change them.

jW

20. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Only the fact that it already cost me a lot of time and lost productivity to get (almost) everything up and running again in the new user account. I'm one of those people who has a lot of apps, utilities, preferences, etc. that are all set up just how I like them. Some of these apps are things I bought years ago (and haven't upgraded because they work fine), so I'd have to remember what they all are and find all the serials, etc. I figure it would take me at least two full days to start over from a fresh install. Also, I need to buy a new external drive to back things up before I do anything so drastic. It would just be a huge project when all I really need right now is to get this Canon software and my Palm software working again. Everything else is functional.

21. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I just tried installing from the Canon CD while booted into safe mode. That too resulted in an "error = 6" message. I'm about to give up. Apparently, I'm going to have to find some whole weekend to waste on a complete system reinstall. :(

22. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, you can do an archive and install first, which will keep your files in place. Though, it may keep in place some file that is causing the problem. Though, since it's happening across users the issue may reside in the core system files, which would get replaced. You'll still want to do a backup though just in case something goes wrong.

23. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Thanks, I'll consider that, but my understanding is that's a lengthy procedure as well. Wouldn't I still have to reinstall all of my applications and third-party utilities?

24. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

According to Apple they sugget you'll likely want to reinstall applications afterward, which sounds like it does keep at least some of the applications around. When I was suggesting this, I was thinking more about the Migration Assistant, which does move all of that.