How to fix audio to clip in iMovie 09?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Badradio, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Badradio macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have two long video clips I'm editing together in iMovie 09, and I recorded the audio seperately onto a laptop as a backup for the event. Now I'm trying to replace the audio attached to the video clip with the new audio from the laptop, but I'm having trouble sync'ing it. I detached the original audio and deleted it, then dragged the new audio in from Garageband. I aligned it approximately, which pinned it, then fine-tuned the audio position in the clip trimmer. However I assume it's pinned using the offset from the beginnging of the clip for the position, as when I do anything to edit the clip starting point, the audio goes out of sync. Is there a way to fix the audio, or mix it down, or whatever the term is with video, so that the two are linked and I can edit as if the clip was fresh off the camera?

Thanks in advance for the help,
    BR

2. xStep macrumors 68000

The only thing I can think of is to align the clip, then export the video as a self contained QuickTime file, then import that back into iMovie 09. To keep the video quality high, I think you should export it as a AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) file. I'm not sure what to make the audio, but make it 48Khz.

3. Badradio thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. That's a nasty workaround, but it should work. I went with Apple Lossless for the audio.

I take it this is an iMovie thing, right? Surely any "real" video editor lets you mix audio and video as and how you want?

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Yep. if you had Final Cut Express ( or Pro ) you'd get the behavior you were expecting ( and desired I mean )

You migth consider reporting this as a bug to Apple. I certainly would be annoyed by it. iMovie HD ( 2 versions ago before the leap to the "new" imovie ) also handled this situation properly.

5. suethemac macrumors newbie

imovie editing

Hello- I'm wondering where I can find detailed information on how to use imovie...

I have been using an older version ( many years old) and I recently upgraded to iLife 09... there have been many changes and not too much seems to be intuitive/obvious anymore. In my old version, you could slice and dice the video and audio clips anywhere you wanted and slide them around, lining the up them to the position you wanted. It doesn't seem to work that way anymore. Can anyone offer any help with-

1) Where can I find detailed instructions on how to edit?

2) Can anyone tell me how I can do this (or tell me where I can find detailed instructions how to do this---

I have live music footage. I want to keep the music track the whole way through the movie, but edit in various people shots I took throughout the day at the concert, without disrupting the song sound track. How can I do this, or where can I find a detailed description on how to do this?
    I've searched the "HELP" and tutorials with no luck.

Thanks in advance for any help!

6. xStep macrumors 68000

I think this will work...

See this Apple tutorial. Instead of choosing Picture-in-Picture, chose Cutaway. Then double click on the new cutaway video in the project and reduce the volume to zero if you want.

As for the rest of your requests. Watch all the Apple videos and check places like YouTube and Vimeo for more. Also, buy a book.