Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm using the SleepCycle app, that explains the on screen during the night.

To be honest, this type of information is irrelevant to me. I am only happy that I now have a phone that can I can use all day without having to recharge mid-day.

OK, thanks - that explains everything. About half of your 24 graph’s ‘14hrs’ is while plugged in, or the 7-ish hours between 00:00>07:00. You can only look at batt% and hours while unplugged if we’re talking about battery life/runtime.

The 15:00 > 00:00 time period looks to be ~60%batt for ~4hrs SOT or ~15%/hr or ~7hrs extrapolated max SOT. The 07:00 > 15:00 time period looks to be ~50% batt for ~3hrs SOT or 17%/hr, so pretty much the same. So it looks like your batt is worth ~7hrs on a full charge while OEM specs ‘up to 12-13hrs’. That’s pretty typical/average.

I’m personally a battery/runtime geek and can still probably get 15-16hrs XR OEM spec but have rarely seen anyone else get that close to Apple spec, much less over it.

EDIT: Also just curious, but it does look you’re plug-in overnight/sleeping… what are you running on the phone to show continuous SOT between 00:00 and 07:00?

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you for calculating that, yes I'm pleased and think the phone works really well for my needs. I recently read Wired's take on the current iPhones where they recommend against the older phones including the X. Though I accept that there perhaps are apps out there that are more taxing, like games (which I don't play) I have not found my phone limited in any, including with things like Photoshop. It's of course horses for course etc. I bought my phone cash in order not to have to pay it off every month and like the freedom that gives (and the low monthly bills). I'll probably switch to a newer model, likely next year, and am pretty sure the X will work well until then. Pretty ok for a 4+ yo phone, but not by other Apple standards. We all know that for many people their computers are good machines for longer than that. My main computer is a Mac Pro 3,1 which I've had since new in 2008 and it ticks along great.

According to this graphic, your Screen On time since you unplugged it, is 3 to 3,5 hours.
If that is using half the battery (~50%), your total Screen On Time is 6 to 7 hours. Which is pretty good for an -aged- iPhone X.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Thank you for calculating that, yes I'm pleased and think the phone works really well for my needs. I recently read Wired's take on the current iPhones where they recommend against the older phones including the X. Though I accept that there perhaps are apps out there that are more taxing, like games (which I don't play) I have not found my phone limited in any, including with things like Photoshop. It's of course horses for course etc. I bought my phone cash in order not to have to pay it off every month and like the freedom that gives (and the low monthly bills). I'll probably switch to a newer model, likely next year, and am pretty sure the X will work well until then. Pretty ok for a 4+ yo phone, but not by other Apple standards. We all know that for many people their computers are good machines for longer than that. My main computer is a Mac Pro 3,1 which I've had since new in 2008 and it ticks along great.
Yeah, I think your next iPhone will have a much longer lifespan. Not the battery, though, but it’s not a problem to replace the battery for a fresh one after 2 or 3 years.

I am most probably upgrading to an iPhone 13 mini, and to be honest I expect that device to last me 5 or more years. The 14 will be a true super-cicle and it will have around 7 to 8 years of good, reliable usage (I’m not talking about iOS support, that’s a different story)

Reactions: pullman

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
To be honest, this type of information is irrelevant to me. I am only happy that I now have a phone that can I can use all day without having to recharge mid-day.

We all like to read/learn/share good tips that may improve battery performance/runtime - thank you for sharing. My comments are also for others that might consider implementing this tip, and even other posters offering tips.

A full restore, as you and others have mentioned, can be rather tedious, so it begs the cost/benefit question - how much more battery life can I get out of it? The problem becomes subjective comments like - ‘now lasts all day’, ‘from gulping to sipping’, or ‘lasted 66 hours before needing recharge’, etc. What does any of that mean given everyone has vastly different SOTs in a day?

When you mentioned an objective ‘13hrs SOT and 36% remaining’, it certainly caught my attention, but it turns out to be a misinterpretation of the graph. Two of us have come to the mutual conclusion that your phone is actually ~7hrs SOT on a full batt.

Apple spec is quoted this way; it’s really the only objective metric from which to compare different users runtimes; and we should all try to speak the same language.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm happy you liked the tip, though I can't take credit for it. Like I alluded to earlier I'm no expert on this. I'm seeing this from an absolute usage point of view, comparing how my phone was ten days ago to how it is now. And for me the reset has literally made a night and day difference. It's true that I may not have spoken the Apple-set language of SOT etc etc but I believe what I said in my OP was quite clear. For me the invested time was well worth it.

We all like to read/learn/share good tips that may improve battery performance/runtime - thank you for sharing. My comments are also for others that might consider implementing this tip, and even other posters offering tips.

A full restore, as you and others have mentioned, can be rather tedious, so it begs the cost/benefit question - how much more battery life can I get out of it? The problem becomes subjective comments like - ‘now lasts all day’, ‘from gulping to sipping’, or ‘lasted 66 hours before needing recharge’, etc. What does any of that mean given everyone has vastly different SOTs in a day?

When you mentioned an objective ‘13hrs SOT and 36% remaining’, it certainly caught my attention, but it turns out to be a misinterpretation of the graph. Two of us have come to the mutual conclusion that your phone is actually ~7hrs SOT on a full batt.

Apple spec is quoted this way; it’s really the only objective metric from which to compare different users runtimes; and we should all try to speak the same language.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
I'm happy you liked the tip, though I can't take credit for it. Like I alluded to earlier I'm no expert on this. I'm seeing this from an absolute usage point of view, comparing how my phone was ten days ago to how it is now. And for me the reset has literally made a night and day difference. It's true that I may not have spoken the Apple-set language of SOT etc etc but I believe what I said in my OP was quite clear. For me the invested time was well worth it.

Yes it is a good tip - I just think it’s worthwhile to establish a baseline for those folks it can really help, and that’s where flushing out the standardized runtime speak of ‘~7hrs SOT on a full batt’ comes into play.

For those folks that are experiencing severe drain and cannot manage 7hrs SOT on a full batt, then this fix may very well solve their problem. However for those that can already get 7hrs+, then their phone is likely operating normally (as yours sounds to be now) and a full restore probably won’t do much. Initially, I honestly could not tell which group I was in, but it is clear now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.