How to fix faulty hinges?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlphaDogg, Jan 5, 2013.

1. AlphaDogg, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

My friend upgraded from his late 2008 15" MacBook Pro. For those who don't know, this is the first unibody MacBook Pro. He sold it to me for a really low price. There's a problem with the hinges. They can't hold the screen up properly, so if I pick up the computer by the base, the screen flips back to about a 175º angle. The screen will stay upright at about 90º, and if I am using the computer in bed and have it on my knees at an angle, the screen flips down onto the keyboard and my hands. It's really annoying.

How would I go about removing the glass to gain access to the hinges? I'm not willing to put more than $50 into this computer, so please don't recommend I just get a new display assembly.

2. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I just took the screen assembly off the computer, and took off the clutch cover. I then took off the hinge clutches and it seems like the coils slipped in the past because the tension was so low that I was able to rotate the shaft without any sort of a lever.

I think this is what I need. Can anyone verify this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110986340429

3. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

**** it, I ordered them.

I figured out that the clutches are broken (nothing wrong with the springs). The metal just broke. I tried gluing the parts back together with no success.

I think the new clutches will fix it.

4. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Finally received them and they fixed the problem!