How to fix loose SATA cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlisterS, Nov 18, 2014.

1. AlisterS macrumors newbie

Hi folks

I have a 17" MBP (one of the last!) with 2 SSDs - the second naturally filling the optical drive bay.

It seems the SATA connector from the 2nd drive is a little loose: every so often a little nudge - just putting the MBP down on a table, for instance - causes the SSD to unmount. At that point it's no longer visible even to Disk Utility, but if I reboot, fortunately it functions normally again - until the next jolt.

Seems to get gradually more frequent, until I take the back off, and push the connector back on, at which point the problem won't occur again for a week or so.

I've noticed that there's a bit of 'spring' in the SATA cable, which wouldn't matter if the connector were seated a little tighter.

So far the drive hasn't unmounted while I've been in the middle of DJing, but I'd like to ensure that it never does.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix it?

Many thanks in advance.

2. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

How about a small piece of tape to hold the connector to the drive? It couldn't hurt and it's cheap. :)

3. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

...or a very small dab of rubber cement - as long as it doesn't touch the metal connectors.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can get a new cable for around $10 or so... why don't you just replace it.

5. AlisterS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions - I tried tape, but there's nothing really to stick it to - there are other elements on the logic board very close to the connector, and didn't want to risk damaging them by taping on top of them - there's not enough area remaining for the tape to stick tight enough to hold the connector down.

I've also read elsewhere that rubber cement contains a solvent that can damage components.

Finally, I did think of buying another cable, but isn't it likely to be the same length, and hence have the same amount of spring in it? I think it's because it's abut 1mm too long...

Not trying to be unappreciative, just had already thought of the above, and wondered if there were any other ideas around - people on this forum are far more knowledgeable than me!

6. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

Or maybe a piece of foam on top of the connector to hold it in place?

7. AlisterS thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... so the foam would have to be thick enough to be fill the gap between the top of the connector and the lower casing when re-attached, but small enough, but as small as the connector itself. Might be fiddly

Plus it would have to be glued to the connector, again the solvent issue - wondering if anyone knows if this is actually a problem?

8. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I don't think you would need to glue it. The pressure should hold it in place. make the piece of foam bigger than size of the connector.

...or tape the foam to the inside of the bottom cover.